iPhone - 3 remaining questions :)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EmptyG, Sep 14, 2007.

1. EmptyG macrumors regular

Hi all...

I still have a Verizon contract for another 5 months, but am really interested in getting an iPhone in the next few days (geek lust gone wild). ;)

I searched around a the forum, but I am still a little fuzzy on three questions...

1. Can I buy an iPhone, use Jailbreak for now, then activate it via AT&T when my Verizon contract expires?

2. Does jailbreaking the iPhone void the warranty? I see some saying yes and some saying no.

3. Does AT&T offer the 30 days "if you don't like it, cancel it for nothing" policy for the iPhone? I want to make sure coverage is good around my house (it isn't for Verizon).

Thanks! :)

2. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

1. Yes
    2. No but that's my opinion
    3. Yes, you have 30 days to cancel AT&T without incurring the cancellation fee.

But you can't return an iPhone after 14 days. And if you return an opened iPhone within 14 days, you will be charged a restocking fee.

3. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Yes
    No, you can alway do a system restore and turn the phone back to the same condition it was when you first bought it. Its only sofrware related hack.
    YES.

4. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

I tell ya - I love this forum. You all rock for your speedy responses. Thanks so much!

I may just get one, activate it and make sure it even works well for me. Even though I have 5 months left on my contract, it's only another $60 per month to have an iPhone.

Thanks again!!!

5. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

FYI: with taxes, the cheapest at&t iphone plan will come to about $70

6. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

Ah OK, thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it. I am just SOOOO lusting after an iPhone these days...heh :) I need to get one so I can quit telling my gf all about it all day ;)

7. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Remember that you may have 30 days with ATT to cancel, but you only have 14 days since the date of purchase to return the iPhone, and if you want to it will cost you a 10% restocking fee... :eek:

8. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Wait this sounds almost too good to be true.

I can 'jailbreak' my phone without voiding warranty or shot at AT&T service later?!

What features do I lose by jailbreaking it and not having a voice or data plan rather than having a full AT&T featured iPhone as I will in mid November?

9. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

jailbreaking does not void the warrenty because you can simply restore the iphone through iTunes to its "out of box" state.

However if you plan on getting an iPhone, and just using it for a wifi/iPod device you have to jump through some additional hoops, such as activating.

Features you would lose include: Phone (obviously) and SMS. I forget if you can still use mail through wifi but everything else should work fine.