iphone 3 suddenly won't connect to wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pleasehelp2012, Nov 26, 2012.

1. pleasehelp2012 macrumors newbie

Hello. My Iphone 3 has suddenly stopped connecting to my Belkin N router/modem after years of trouble free use. One minute I was talking on Viber and surfing the internet on the Iphone. And the next minute the wifi had stopped. That was 3 days ago and the wifi has not connected to the iphone since then.

In this same house, an ipad, ipod, mac computer, Iphone 4, acer netbook and Samsung galaxy phone all successfully connect to the Belkin N.
    I have:
    Turned the Belkin N router/modem off & back on.
    Reset the Belkin N router by sticking a pin in the little hole,
    Changed the user name
    Changed the password
    Checked the Belkin N settings: they are 802.11 b/g/n
    Tried Belkin set at WEP 64 and then tried the other security options (made no difference)
    Reset the MAC address.
    Tried 20mghs and 20/40 mghs (made no difference)
    Rung Belkin to check the router/modem settings, and they advise they are OK. They said it is the phone's fault not the Belkin router fault

Turned the Iphone off and back on.
    Reset the Iphone.
    Reset the Iphone network settings.
    Restored the Iphone software via itunes.
    Talked to apple help who have told me I need to replace the phone

Any help anyone could provide would be VERY APPRECIATED. It seems such a waste (and expensive) to have to buy a new phone.

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

This is one of the model-specific problem of the 3G: after some years, their Wi-Fi unit just dies. "Of course" Apple doesn't admit it.

Indeed nothing can be done except for getting another phone.

3. pleasehelp2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Dear Menneisyys2
    Many thanks for taking the time to post a reply to my question. I will start thinking about whether to buy another iphone or perhaps another brand.