iPhone 30pin -> USB adapter for Keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by liberty4all, Jul 26, 2007.

1. liberty4all Guest

liberty4all

2. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

First, of all, all you would need is a simple USB Female-Female adapter/cable and you could just use the provide iPod USB cable from Apple.

But...I'm not sure why you think that the iPhone is going to support it? That's a bit of a stretch. Sure it runs OSX, but its a seriously stripped down version and I would be extremely surprised if you would get any use out of that keyboard.

3. liberty4all thread starter Guest

liberty4all

Ok, well, anyone have one to try and can report back here? ;-)

TIA!

4. DaveDaveDave macrumors member

WHOAH... BAD Advice. Normally I wouldn't reply to such an old post - but someone else might stumble upon this like I did.
    Telling someone to use a USB female to female adapter to connect a USB peripheral into another peripheral is a little like telling someone to use a 3 prong AC female to female adapter - so they can plug their PC into their vacuum cleaner. "No Problem" - riiiight.

Thankfully we weren't talking about 2 USB host adapters - that'd be like plugging an AC outlet into an AC outlet...

Hope this helps
    Dave

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

this advice seems wrong, because you are implying that the adapter is powered. there is nothing wtong with using the female-female adapter in the way that they are talking about. i know it wont work because the iphone wouldnt support it but its not going to screw anything up

6. nate94gt macrumors member

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Isn't there a spec for that though? Like USB-A? (Versus USB-B which is a standard Device-peripherial setup) I doubt the iPhone has USB-A though.

8. socoop macrumors newbie

Wowdock connects iphones / ipads / ipod touches to any USB keyboards

The very product you want is about to be released this August by Omnio.
    You CAN type into your iphone via any USB keyboard!

Click the link below to view how it works.
    http://youtu.be/1X608-i-9K4