Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
First, of all, all you would need is a simple USB Female-Female adapter/cable and you could just use the provide iPod USB cable from Apple.

But...I'm not sure why you think that the iPhone is going to support it? That's a bit of a stretch. Sure it runs OSX, but its a seriously stripped down version and I would be extremely surprised if you would get any use out of that keyboard.

liberty4all

Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Ok, well, anyone have one to try and can report back here? ;-)

TIA!

First, of all, all you would need is a simple USB Female-Female adapter/cable and you could just use the provide iPod USB cable from Apple.

But...I'm not sure why you think that the iPhone is going to support it? That's a bit of a stretch. Sure it runs OSX, but its a seriously stripped down version and I would be extremely surprised if you would get any use out of that keyboard.

DaveDaveDave

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2006

WHOAH... BAD Advice. Normally I wouldn't reply to such an old post - but someone else might stumble upon this like I did.
Telling someone to use a USB female to female adapter to connect a USB peripheral into another peripheral is a little like telling someone to use a 3 prong AC female to female adapter - so they can plug their PC into their vacuum cleaner. "No Problem" - riiiight.

Thankfully we weren't talking about 2 USB host adapters - that'd be like plugging an AC outlet into an AC outlet...

Hope this helps
Dave

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
WHOAH... BAD Advice. Normally I wouldn't reply to such an old post - but someone else might stumble upon this like I did.
Telling someone to use a USB female to female adapter to connect a USB peripheral into another peripheral is a little like telling someone to use a 3 prong AC female to female adapter - so they can plug their PC into their vacuum cleaner. "No Problem" - riiiight.

Thankfully we weren't talking about 2 USB host adapters - that'd be like plugging an AC outlet into an AC outlet...

Hope this helps
Dave

this advice seems wrong, because you are implying that the adapter is powered. there is nothing wtong with using the female-female adapter in the way that they are talking about. i know it wont work because the iphone wouldnt support it but its not going to screw anything up

nate94gt

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
bah! all you need is this badboy

itec_virtualkeyboard_web.jpg

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Isn't there a spec for that though? Like USB-A? (Versus USB-B which is a standard Device-peripherial setup) I doubt the iPhone has USB-A though.

socoop

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Wowdock connects iphones / ipads / ipod touches to any USB keyboards

The very product you want is about to be released this August by Omnio.
You CAN type into your iphone via any USB keyboard!

Click the link below to view how it works.
http://youtu.be/1X608-i-9K4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.