iPhone 3G: 11 restores since purchase!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mavis, Jul 13, 2008.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone is having a similar experience. I've just started my 11th restore on a white iPhone 3G purchased at 12pm on Friday. I've tried downloading apps directly to the iPhone (both by wifi and 3G) but EVERY TIME I do this, the iPhone locks up and when re-booted it hangs at the Apple logo. Restoring of course takes ages, and I made the mistake of trying to restore from a backup three times - instant lockup every time (so those three restores actually turned into six) ...

Did I just get a lemon? Or is anyone else experiencing this as well?

2. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

I'd return it myself - doesn't sound like what most have experienced here

3. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I just tried deleting all of my apps from iTunes and re-syncing. Then, I tried downloading them directly on the iPhone. IT WORKED!!!! For the first time since I bought my iPhone 3G, I was able to download an app from the App Store!!!! :D

I'm SO excited right now!!!!!!!

I'm thinking one of my downloads must've been corrupt somehow. I don't know, but whatever was causing the problem - it seems to be working now. FINALLY. I'll keep my fingers crossed, of course. ;)

4. sjfrench macrumors newbie

All locked up

What the heck! Mine locks up constantly with the beautiful black screen with a silver apple in the middle! I didn't do anything fancy...hooked it up to itunes...and the problems began. It locks up about every 10 minutes. The voice mail won't activate. I'm so pumped that I stood in line for three hours to stare at a black screen. What an amazing sight. I haven't even downloaded any apps yet. So far my first iphone purchase leaves much to be desired...hopefully the Apple genius can fix the problem tomorrow. Honestly...if this phone will work properly...I'll be pumped. It is one sweet phone.

5. mark34 macrumors 6502a

something is wrong, return it. Mine has been nearly flawless.

6. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I feel for ya, mate - I know EXACTLY what it's like to have a dead iPhone 3G. I was lucky to have sorted out my problem on my own (it's working GREAT now) but I'm sure Apple will take care of you. Best of luck!

7. Kyle Appleseed macrumors member

When you do a restore do you lose all contacts and bookmarks?

8. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

No - I use MobileMe, so any changes to any of my contacts (or calendars or bookmarks) are instantly pushed to the 'cloud' and are available to any device syncing with that account. ;)

9. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Since 2.0 has come out, I had to restore twice for my original iPhone

Has since worked great since