IPhone 3G 16 GB white

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ma5ter, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Ma5ter macrumors newbie

Today I bought white one and found something weird. From the release day I have black 8GB model, and no problems, but white one has some differences in vibrating. Well, at 8GB vibrating is normal and sound of vibration is very low, fine for me, but white model vibrating sound is weird. It sounds loud, like some cheap phone. I don't know how else to describe this sound.
    Pls could anyone compare these two phones and vibrating sound or give me some link about that. I was googling but didn't find any info about this feature. Is it possible that white has different vibration hardware? Did Apple tried to improve vibration sound feature?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I imagine it's a manufacturing difference within the norms for manufacturing tolerances. The vibration is basically a small motor out of balance. There will be a tendency for some variation in the sound this makes.

3. Ma5ter thread starter macrumors newbie

The interesting thing is that seller gave me first phone what has defective display with some bubble on it. Then I changed for another one. Both phones (white) have the same annoying loud vibration sound.
    Some guy at another forum told me phone could be defective, but can't believe both phones in originally closed box are defective.
    Can you describe your vibration sound if you have white model. Low or loud vibrating volume?

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Well my black 16g and my wifes white 16g both vibrate the same. It does seem quite a bit wussified. Not a very strong vibrate. But both our 16g are the same.

5. Ma5ter thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, my black 8GB and white vibrate the same, not very strong, but white have louder annoying sound.

ad: And one more thing, vibration of black one I almost cannot hear, but white one I can hear very well.

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Well the first test i did i had them both in my hand. when i put them both on the table i could hear the difference. strange indeed. u were correct there is a difference.

7. rxmxsh macrumors member

that's odd. my wife's black and mine's white, and they work equally...

8. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

She wear the pants too? Just kidding bro. White iphones arent to girly.

9. Ma5ter thread starter macrumors newbie

Obviously here is differences from series to series. For example, with my black 8GB, I never had problem with yellow screen or 3G signal, but many people does. Don't know, this much louder vibrating sound is maybe better, cause now I can hear my phone even in another room, how vibrate, but it's little annoying.

Besides that, white phone have better display. How? Well, on black model, when I slightly press the screen, from some angle view, I can see some circles. And right side of screen is little bit lower then left side. Some guy on another forum said he have the same issue. I saw that on few 3G iPhones. Just try it if yours phones have the same!
    Not big deal, but it seems bad how Apple going to massive production with lower quality. Fortunately on my new white phone I don't have this issue.
    On defective white iphone I returned, I had little circle/bubble or whatever, in front of home button, and when I pressed home button, circle comes bigger.

10. Ma5ter thread starter macrumors newbie

Today, I disassembled white and black 8GB iPhone and switch vibrate module from black to white and vice versa. Now, for sure, I can say vibrate module is not defective. I thought I will see some weird hardware malfunction, but instead of that, both vibrate modules are the same. Only differences are serial number. Serial from white model is H833 and from black H683. Now white phone vibrate is more quite but stronger, and black one is louder, like before in white model. Nothing wrong with vibrate module at all, and like I said before, obviouslly hardware is different!
    I don't know why Apple made such differences, maybe they think louder vibration would be more effective, but in reality it's not, only has louder volume, not vibration.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You did WHAT??? :eek:

Remind me NOT to bring my 3G iPhones anywhere near your house!!! That's pretty brave, but I'm not about to void my warranty should something go wrong...:eek:

12. Ma5ter thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not that complicated. I have my own business company and this is also one little part of my job which I enjoy :)

13. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

the motor might be loose, go show it to the genius bar.

14. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

sounds like a hell of a lot of effort for something so mundane that, lets be frank, doesnt really make any difference to your life does it?
    :)

15. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

customer : my motor might be loose, i think i need a replacement phone.
    genius : oh, you took it apart, no luck
    :rolleyes:

16. Ma5ter thread starter macrumors newbie

Let's be frank, does even buying an iPhone makes difference to your life? :)
    I' ll repeat, it's part of my job and not big deal to me. I spent 30 minutes of my life for that, less then typing on this forum :D

17. Ma5ter thread starter macrumors newbie

If you know hot to do it there is no evidence of disassembling. Sticker of warranty is still there ;)