iPhone 3G 2.1 Gets Sluggish After A While

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacOSXAddict, Oct 15, 2008.

1. MacOSXAddict macrumors member

I have found that the 2.1 software to be very sluggish after a while of usage. For example, going into the Text Message app is slow, contacts are still off, switching between apps is not that smooth, etc.

I find that you can rectify the problem by restarting the iPhone, but after a while all the sluggishness comes back.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

2. crobbins macrumors 6502

Actually yes, it is driving me nuts. I've never had too many software issues with the iPhone so this was kind of strange. Hopefully this is being addressed.

3. Jinkst macrumors 6502

Jinkst

I noticed this too. When I first installed 2.1 on my iPhone it ran like lightning. But after a week or so it became slow, so I got rid of all the Apps I had that I wasn't using, and now it's more or less back to the speeds it was before when I first installed 2.1.

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

This is why I downgraded to a first gen phone and installed 1.1.4. Very zippy UI with absolutely no lag or choppiness.

The only thing I miss is 3G speeds. :( Ah, but what're you gonna do?

5. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Memory leaks. Restart, close apps, empty Safari cache. All help.

6. tom5304 macrumors regular

I run through that routine at the end of every day. It seems to help. Kind of pitiful that a phone that cost $200 and a lot more every month needs to be babied this way.

I just wish they'd fix the iPhone's problems with Safari: freezes, crashes, etc. Safari on the my iPhone 3g has been a buggy, unstable mess. Still love the phone, though. :eek:

7. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

It happens to me too. I usually just turn my phone off and then turn it back on. It's not that big of a deal to me.

8. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Me too, its pretty annoying, everything except keyboard lag is back, apps take a while to load etc..

9. almasinfe macrumors member

almasinfe

yes this is also making me kinda mad but then i had a thought...
    what if 2.1 is a like a placebo? like when i am on the phone with 2-3 bars i will drop the call....
    so i am feeling like apples firm is kinda fake.. i dont know how they are pulling it off but i have a nice feeling that since 2.0 came out they really didnt know what was going on..... also i think that is why
    apple hates the jailbreaking due to apples faulty firm when you break it you see all the flawed 2.1 stuff.....i may be a lil bit high and stuff but this is what i think right now :-D

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Same issues here. I don't see anything eating the processing power, but it still crawls along.

11. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

smooth here. Everything is decent. I had a safari crash the other day though

12. LinMac macrumors 65816

I believe this calls for a +1.

I have the same problem after a few days.

13. MacOSXAddict thread starter macrumors member

When you restart, do you hit the sleep / wake button and then slide to power off or do you hold the sleep / wake and home buttons till the Apple Logo appears?

14. mutantblack macrumors regular

I have that issue too. Have to turn it off and on every night or morning. What a pity.

15. iphoneg33k macrumors member

OMG... some more apple members having trouble with slow Iphone .... I thought it was just me...

My iphone also takes it's time when switching between txt and other apps.

Come on Apple fix it!!!!!!!!!!

16. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

The other day I was trying to do something in Safari, typing was impossible. Not sure what the deal was. I reboot my phone often though anyway. One think I don't like about that is that it resets your usage stats again until a full charge.

17. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yeah, I kinda noticed this as well. I just restart my phone like once a day to avoid this problem. It's no big deal really.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I use the slider. It performs a clean shutdown, as opposed to essentially pulling the plug.