Iphone 3g 2.87 gb of other space.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by scavengerbmx, Feb 8, 2009.

1. scavengerbmx macrumors newbie

I just synced my iphone with itunes when i noticed i had 2.87gb of other space and obv. that isent normal. My iphone was jailbreaked on 2.2 and thn i updated to 2.2.1. I tried to jailbreak it on 2.2.1 and it frooze up and thats when i noticed tht i had 2.87 gigs of other space. Even before i knew i had over 1.5 gbs of free space but now i have even more. I am running windows xp. Thanks for the help.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Next time search with MRoogle!

David

3. scavengerbmx thread starter macrumors newbie

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I have seen many other forums about this. I would provide you with a link but it is hard to do so on MacRumors Mobile.

David

5. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Restore your phone to a stock firmware, make sure you don't put anything on it and then use QuickPwn. After it is jailbroken you can put your music and everything else back on. Same thing happened to me and this fixed it.

6. scavengerbmx thread starter macrumors newbie

i will try again. i can find threads about it but not a solution to my problem. The biggest problem i see is someone having 800mb of other space and i have 2.87gb. I tryed to restore my iphone but i dont no if i should restore as a backup but that probably wont solve anything cause it will be the same. I really dont feel like setting up as a new iphone. Do you know if i set it up as a new iphone if i will lose all my contacts. I really dont care about any of the other stuff just i have alot of contacts and i rly dont want to lose all of them.

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Wirelessly posted (David's Black 16GB iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

You will lose all of your contacts but if you sync the with Address Book and Calendar events with iCal, then you will be able to sync them after you restore and set up as a new iPhone.

David

8. kevlarMan macrumors newbie

Hi there. First time posting here. Just wanted to share a solution which worked for me. I was literally about to do a full restore when something occured to me. My "other" files blimped when I was transferring a large movie onto the phone and iTunes crashed. Since then there has been a 2GB other file on the phone. Anyway I have a program called PhoneView (Version 2.5.2 for anyone who cares), and with this program you can browse all the hidden and system files of the iPhone. So I took a look in there in /iTunes_Control/Music/ and I searched for a large file matching this "other" space issue. I found a corrupt .m4v(movie file) sitting in there. I simply deleted it and then resynched the phone. Space issue is now sorted. So there was no need for me to format the phone. Which is handy cause I've a raging hangover and that was about to spoil my Saturday morning! Registered here to share the solution. Perhaps it will help someone else.

Best of luck

:)

9. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I have the same issue on a non jailbroken phone. Any tips how to fix without buying a program?

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

11. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Thanks! I will download it when I am home tonight. What do I have to do once downloaded to get rid of the 3gb of other?

12. JamesMB, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB