iphone 3G 3.0 auto dims?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by divang, Jun 24, 2009.

1. divang macrumors member

Was this feature always on the iphone 3g prior to 3.0 update? I just noticed that the phone autodims now before auto locking or sleeping.

Not sure if it was present before the update, or if there's a way to turn off or at least mess with the setting?

2. The General macrumors 601

3. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Settings --> Brightness

As mentioned, this isn't new.

4. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Yeah; always been that way. Also, the sensor can automatically adjust screen brightness due to ambient light. It is nice; except when you pull your phone from your pocket and out into the sunlight.

5. divang thread starter macrumors member

I just looked under brightness and Auto-Brightness is off cause it was annoying feature a long time ago.

Is there a way to Turn off auto-dim, or is jail breaking the only way to get this feature to pop up in the brightness menu?

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Settings - Brightness

Actually, I've never seen my iPhone or either of my iPods (iPod touch 1G and 2G) auto-dim, only get brighter when necessary. Are you guys saying the 3GS actually auto-dims now, too?

7. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It's always auto-dimmed.

Wait until night time, go into a room with all the lights on.
    Stare at your iPhone, then turn off all the lights.

8. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

No its never done that.

It always auto brightened the screen.

The only time it "auto - dims" is when the screen has not been touched for a while. Then you would have to tap on the screen for it to adjust to the ambient light by re brightening the screen.

9. divang thread starter macrumors member

Yea your thinking about auto-brightness thats different then what im referring too.

Im acutally talking about what I believe the poster above me is talking about, when the phone hasn't been touched and it's about to auto-lock, 10 seconds or so before the phone auto locks and sleeps it'll dim the screen before.

How a macbook pro also. Im just wondering if there was a way to turn that off.

I have auto brightness off because it's annoying how it constantly adjusted it self depending on light, and it usually made it worse, so I have it set to the brightness I want and have auto-brightness turned off.

auto-dim and is different from auto-brightness