iPhone 3G 3.1.3 iTunes Activation

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SoWhatNow123, Apr 23, 2010.

1. SoWhatNow123 macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3G VER.3.1.3, I use iTunes for activation with LEGIT SIM from AT&T. I need to know whether I can Jailbreak and have iTunes unlock my iPhone like it would in a normal restore. I hate not having all the Jailbreak settings but don't know my boot rom or any specs like that. Someone let me know what they think and what Program to use. Im used to using Pwnage Tool so if thats a maybe let me know. I cant afford to mess this up.

Thanks.

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you cannot software unlock 3.1.3 as of right now you can only jailbreak it on the 3G.

If the iPhone is already unlocked then once jailbroken that unlock will still be in place

3. SoWhatNow123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm...

So this means if I use Pwnage Tool to Jailbreak and use iTunes to unlock the phone it wont work for me? I hate to ask a stupid question but I need this to go right. I dont use an unofficial sim, Its AT&T that I use, I just like to clarify. Theres alot of places that say you can with a LEGIT SIM FROM AT&T but cant for like a T-Mobile card or O2.

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

There's no reason for you to unlock if you have AT&T

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

oh so you are using AT&T sim in it full time I thought you were on about getting it unlocked, a legit sim will work just fine in the iPhone regardless of pwnagetool or redsn0w jailbreak, have no fear it will work

6. SoWhatNow123 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok

So lets recap, I Jailbreak with Pwnage Tool, go to expert mode and tell it not to unlock my phone, build the ipsw and then DFU it and restore through iTunes with Custom Restore, Then iTunes will let me use my AT&T SIM CARD in my phone afterwards... like I said i dont need an unlock cause i have a legit sim but i do want to use cydia and winter board and all that but still make my calls and text and al that sim stuff.... I just want to sure before i plug this puppy in lol

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yep your on the ball there just tell pwnage tool not to activate the phone and your good.

8. SoWhatNow123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice

Cool, I can't thank you all enough, I had another Forum tell me it would brick cause they didnt realize that ii just wanted a Jailbreak and that iTunes will be the unlocking software... Good to know there are some reliable sources out there!!!! Ill post back the results incase it hickups!!!

Thanks Again

9. SoWhatNow123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update...

Its takin a while for iTunes to Prepare iPhone software for restore... Hope thats normal cause its kinda not goin anywhere.....:mad:

10. SoWhatNow123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update...

OK so after a Tense 7 min lol it finally started to Restore with the Custom FW. Well see where it goes from here.

11. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Keep us updated.

12. SoWhatNow123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hah Apple

So seems that all went well.. iTunes should activate the SIM soon so well see if it works out in the end here in about 6 min.

13. SoWhatNow123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Done & Done

Good You Guys Know Your Stuff LOL.... iPhone is activated and is restoring from a backup I made before the Jailbreak. Good for me and just to let alot of people know, I thought that when everyone was saying NO UNLOCK, i thought that was iTunes wouldn't unlock an AT&T sim card.... I have alot of friends ask me and im not sure so maybe they should be more clear about that but as of now its all good.
    Thanks.

14. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

good to hear it went to plan :)

yeh your original post was sounding like you wanted to unlock the iPhone, what you really meant was activation not unlock as they are two seperate things thats where the confusion was so all good. :)