iPhone 3G 3.1.3 Should i update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Leet Apple, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Apple is forcing me to upgrade to iOS4 in order to get any new apps and it looks like i have to either stop buying apps and stick with what im with or update to iOS 4

Last time my 3G was at iOS 4 is was barely useable so i downgraded, what do you think i should do guys

2. Los macrumors regular

If I remember correctly, iOS 4.1 made some major improvements for the iPhone 3G. My friend has a 3G and has iOS 4.1 installed on it and I didn't notice any major lags or serious battery drain.

I honestly think you should give it a shot and just downgrade if it performs poorly. There's no harm in trying.

3. Leet Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

I work on it first thing in the morning

4. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

And new video games require you to have the newest hardware :eek::eek:

No one is forcing you to do anything

You are aware of the tradeoff, we can't decide for you.

5. sookainian macrumors regular

one sentence. lag like ****.

it's stupid.

my 3g on the latest 4.1 is lagging badly. even with a clean restore with no apps or photos or songs inside.

6. Leet Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

This is completely unbearable...did apple do this on purpose cause they must see what the latest firmware is doing to these phones...

7. snowleopard13 macrumors regular

stay at 3.x if u don't REALLY need any of these 4.x apps

i have 4.1 and it takes 10 (!) seconds to open settings, what's your time for that on 3.x?

8. Leet Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

when i used to be on 3.x it would be 2-3 seconds....now im stuck on 4.1 and i can't unlock... so i'm going to use my blackberry till an unlock becomes available...

9. snowleopard13 macrumors regular

oh... :-/

there is a saying... "never change a running system" no offense ;)

10. Leet Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

my iPhone's running but it won't unlock...so i have no service :confused: i really made a big mistake today

11. ringgit macrumors member

ringgit

12. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I heard for most 4.2 was working alright.

And Apple isn't forcing the app developers to require 4.0+, that's that App developers making that choice (admittedly, some apps might use APIs not found pre-4.0, but that's how it works.)

You won't always be able to use software on an older device. As a kid, my family got a new computer because mom was pissed her cheap poker game ($10s, MAYBE. Probably less than $5) required too fast a processor (36MHZ).

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For an iphone 3G I wouldnt go past 3.1.3
    Not worth it.

14. ringgit macrumors member

ringgit

I tried 4.2 on my wife's 3G and she regretted the upgrade. It's still not as 'zippy' and 'snappy' as 3.1.3. I had to downgrade back.

15. Leet Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

As week speak I'm on iOS 4.2 it's way better then iOS 4 and 4.1 it works pretty good but I'm afraid to mess around with Cydia apps, fear of it slowing down I'll downgrade to 3.1.3 I have too

16. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I put 4.2 on my old 3G, now my sons iPod, and worked fairly smooth and fast at first, however after about a week or two it started slowing down again. It's not as crappy as 4.0 or 4.1, but definately not as snappy as 3.1.

17. Leet Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

hopefully that won't happen to me because its working amazing right now, i can't even out a password on my iPhone, im afraid it will lag..

18. ringgit macrumors member

ringgit

That's it! That is what happened to me: Works ok in the beginning, then slow done.

19. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Will be slower but some features are worth it, so if you care about folders and new games then upgrade if not then 3.1.3 is perfect for you.