Iphone 3G, 3G part doesn't work

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NoCleverName, Jul 19, 2010.

1. NoCleverName macrumors newbie

I have two phones, a iphone 3G and an older Motorola Razr that's on the 3G network.

This past weekend, I worked outside and it was raining and I couldn't do anything other than continue to finish the job I was on. I had my iphone in a case, and my shirt was covering it, however, my shirt was soaked.

Noticed a problem the next day where I didn't have any signal in a location I use the phone daily. Then when it would have a signal and I try to call, it would have a failed call attempt. Then I'd move to another location, try it, and it would work fine. I figured it had moisture damage and that was the end of it and I'd just go get another phone.

So I begin to use my Razr instead and it had a failed call attempt too. In talking with someone, it actually dropped the call, which has never happened before.

So now I'm beginning to think it's a network problem, not a phone problem. I call AT&T and they have me turn off 3G. I do, the signal pops to 5 bars from "No Signal". They look at their end and tell me that all the networks in the area are functioning properly.

Does this story sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas or suggestions, since getting a new iPhone is a 3-4 week process these days? I can't see any moisture strips in the headset jack tripped, and the case wasn't wet.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Right now I have 5 bars. If I turn 3G on, it drops to 2, then to none and says "No Service". If I turn 3G back off, it brings 5 bars back.

Is this a phone issue or a network issue?

Thanks-

2. zacharace macrumors member

Seeing as the Razr dropped a call and that the iPhone pulls in a signal with 3G turned off, I'd speculate that it's a network issue. The only way to really test this, though, would be to use another iPhone in the same area or bring the iPhone to a way-different location and see if 3G works. Hope that helps a bit.

(I can empathize with the wet iPhone; my new iP4 was ruined last week at an outdoor concert...:rolleyes:)

3. NoCleverName thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Zach. When I called yesterday, I was told that there were no network issues. So I called back today, they told me the same thing. I kept pressing them asking them how it could be phone related when I had two phones, different manufacturers, different generations, both doing the same thing.

After repeatedly saying there was no network issue in our area, they got a technician involved and they came back about 10 minutes later and said the technician verified a tower had gone out on Saturday and would down for about a week before it would be repaired.

They then applied a credit to both phone accounts for the trouble.

At least I know it's not the phone, which is a relief, since it's 3 weeks to get a replacement iphone right now (tried that at the apple store yesterday).

4. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

They said that just to get you to shut up.

5. NoCleverName thread starter macrumors newbie

We shall see, as they gave a date it was to be completed. If it's not working by then, then I'll call back and start working up the ladder until it's resolved.