Iphone 3g 4.0/Multitasking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by east85, Jun 25, 2010.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I was just wondering the opinion of those who have decided on trying out multitasking on their iPhone 3g, was it worth it to skip over it in redsn0w? Does it really cause the iPhone 3g to lag out a whole bunch?

Thanks.

2. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Some have had lag, others have not. I just set it up as new instead of from a backup, and have had no lag issues with the goodies enabled on my 3G.

3. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

the phone runs sooooo slow...im testing it on my friends 3G and it just lags constantly...

4. Artificial-I macrumors newbie

Sometimes it lags sometimes it doesnt...but yeah its clearly lagging for me. Did a fresh install. Will probably try it again.

5. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thanks for all the responses thus far. I think I'll stay away from pondering the idea as my phone is laggy at times in the first place on 4.0.

I was just wondering, because I didn't want to make another topic for it, but is there a program out there that will effectively turn the background black and remove the bottom bar to be either transparent or black as well? I had this setup on my Ipod 2g but that was a long time ago and I completely forgot the app I used to do this.

6. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

I've tried all different combinations...

3g / iOS 4.0 / no JB - VERY fast
    3g / iOS 4.0 / with JB, no M/T, no wallpaper - VERY Fast
    3g / iOS 4.0 / with JB, with M/t, with wallpaper - dog slow

So basically I upgraded to 4.0, unlocked with redsn0w, only selected Cydia option, and it runs very fast like a stock iOS 4.0.

If there were more apps that had M/T functionality out right now I might be willing to deal with it, but it will basically be irrelevant until the apps are capable.

7. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Hm, how can I eliminate my wallpaper. Sorry I'm kind of a n00bert.

Nevermind about the M/t XD

8. Ultrakla$$ic macrumors member

Like others have said, I watched my buddy's JB and unlocked iPhone 3g on iOS4 run like a turd. I would have tossed it in the trash it was so slow. I guess there is always a possibility yours will too.

I wonder if its a combo of wallpapers AND Multitasking or one or the other.

Can anybody confirm either?:confused:

9. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I've heard both that its really laggy, and that it doesn't affect the speed too much, so I guess it depends. I'm going to try jailbreaking my 3G this weekend and enable multitasking and wallpaper, and I'll add my two cents on how it works once I do.

For me, I'm already going to upgrade to iPhone 4 whenever I can actually manage to get one, so I don't mind messing with my old 3G.

10. outcastrc macrumors member

Personally I found ios4 on a 3g with multitasking and wallpaper fine. No worse then running winterboard was on os3. Ios4 without jailbreak seem pretty quick.

What I didn't like while jb was I couldn't get tethering and mms working on it. It refused to update my carrier file. I tried 4 times to restore the phone. I finally decided to hold off until everyone gets these issues fixed before I try again.

The most annoying is the fact that most of my apps don't work on ios4 at all I am not very impressed.Only apps that have been updated so far work and all I can hope for is devs update their apps... Which I honestly think only the popular ones will get updated.

11. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

No one can really confirm it, it's been a crapshoot with the 3G having them enabled from the get-go. Some have had great performance others wanted to whip their iPhone through a window. Once you get it installed and jailbroken though you can just as easily enable/disable one or the other, a quick google search shows you which file to edit on the phone. Sometimes that can yield nice results and you get rid of stuff you didn't exactly want anyway.

12. Ultrakla$$ic macrumors member

Once again, thanks Neo.:cool:

13. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Always welcome. :D

14. dunk321 macrumors newbie

I'm having no problems with speed on my 3G, its running better then the old firmware with wallpaper and multitasking. I did a fresh install, no restore, made it a new phone. MMS was not working I narrowed it down to Cydia being installed. By just using the jail break to turn on mulitasking and wallpaper everything is working smooth.

15. jTreu macrumors 6502

I'm running a 3G jailbroken with multitasking and wallpaper, also using lockinfo with weather plugin and its just as fast, if not faster than stock OS 3.1.3 was for me. Winterboard slowed it down to a crawl but getting rid of that fixed it.

16. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

I just did a test with 3G, 4.0 GM that had wallpapers, m/t and cydia and my battery life was bad and settings and other stock apps would take like 10seconds to open. This was on a clean install of 4.0 not a backup. So i ran a test and this is what i came up with.

4.0, jb, m/t, wallpapers, remove recents, battery %, push enabled, fetch 1 email account every 15min = slow loads basic APPS FOREVER! also the battery life was terrible!

4.0,jb, wallpapers, remove recents, battery %, push enabled, fetch email every 15min = My battery last now under like 2.5hours heavy usage, with probably 40minute talking and its only down to about 50-60% if that!

Im also running LockInfo on my lockscreen.

Only thing i wish for would be those damn push notifications to work!

17. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I had lag on mine but then I had wallpapers and multitasking enabled. I had restored from a backup.

I got tired of the lag and went back to 3.1.3.

I may give it a try again if I get bored with 3.1.3.

18. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I installed iOS4 and JB my 3G whit redsnow, enabled wallpaper and battery meter, no cydia, no mt, and is running pretty fast...

19. caribbeni89 macrumors newbie

disable wallpaper and multitasking

So you tried all of the options? I have the wallpaper and multitasking, and already upgraded to iOS 4 and unlocked my iphone with redsnow. I wanna get rid of the wallpaper and multitasking, any advice? should I run again rednow and uncheck these options?

Thanks!