Iphone 3G 4.2.1 No Service help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nelly41, Feb 8, 2011.

1. nelly41 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I have a iphone 3G that isn't getting any service. I updated the phone to 4.2.1 firmware, its not jailbroken or unlocked. The only thing I did was replaced the broken screen and digitizer. I'm just trying to make it work with AT&T. I tried reset all settings, reset network settings, restore, still nothing. I'm lost please help. Thanks guys.

Version 4.2.1
    Model MB046LL
    Carrier is AT&T 9.0
    Modem Firmware 05.15.04

2. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

3. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

sounds like you messed something up during disassembly/reassembly. no one can help you troubleshoot something when the remaining variables are unknown. since nothing worked by restoring it, it's obviously an issue related to something you did, so take it apart and see if you missed something during your botched repair.

4. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I installed everything correctly. This isn't also my first time replace the screen either. I tested it out with another 3G and it worked. I'm thinking it might be something on the logic board cause when I switched it out with another logic board the phone worked fine. At first
    t I thought it was the antenna/charger piece but it still gave me the same problem.

5. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

well, obviously it broke on it's own and it's just pure coincidence that it happened during your repair session.

6. kcal, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

kcal macrumors newbie

no service

I just replaced the battery and display and got the same result, it shows no service. I think the receiver modulator doesn't work on mine though. I tried to reset the setting on the phone and sometimes ill get service for a minute but it will then deplete and show the no service message. Did you find a solution?

What is sort of odd is that I put a T-Mobile sim card in the phone and i didn't give me the error message. It just continuously showed one bar. (With no carrier name)

Version 4.2.1 (8C148)
    Carrier AT&T 9.0
    Model MB702LL
    Firmware 05.15.04