iPhone 3G: 500MB/month enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by methdxman, Aug 19, 2008.

1. methdxman macrumors member

Hi guys, most of you guys probably have unlimited data plans for the iPhone, but this doesn't really exist in Spain yet.

I'm thinking of buying an Italian (unlocked) iPhone and using it with a data plan that gives me 500 MB a month and 0.04 cents for each additional MB. What do you guys think? Will I be able to google maps/email/chat easily and stay under 500MB? I'll probably stay away from youtube and music downloads to save bandwidth.

Do you guys know how much bandwidth you average per month on your iPhones? Thanks!

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

As long as you don't YouTube and stream live radio it's manageable. I used up 1.3 gigs last month, but I YouTube almost every night watching at least one episode of fawlty towers and I alson stream aol radio at least 4 hours each day.

3. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Yeah, streaming music uses tons of bandwidth, if you don't do that you should be fine, especially if you use Wifi when you can.

4. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

My data so far is sent 3.4 MB and Received 48.8 MB for the past 5 days.

I have flipped back and forth between 3G and EDGE but mainly use EDGE because I don't need my speeds to be so fast all the time. Stuff I do on a daily basis includes: GPS location about twice, Safari a few times, Applications that use the internet (Touch dialer, facebook, weather, wikipedia, mobile news). I don't ever YouTube.