iPhone 3G 8gb Crashed and Won't Restart

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by relienttu, Apr 21, 2010.

1. relienttu macrumors newbie

Hello all,

My iPhone worked perfectly until Saturday, when apps started randomly disappearing from the home screen after an App Store update. I was able to reinstall them and thought the problem was just an odd glitch. Fast forward to today, the phone was charging and syncing to the computer and I ejected and unplugged it when finished. An hour or so later, I went to use the iPod app and it wouldn't start. Logically, I restarted the phone since it's basically a computer, thinking that would fix it. Now the phone will go to the Apple logo, sit for ten seconds, then shut back off. I tried plugging it into my computer, but it isn't recognized since it can't power on.

The phone is two months old (refurb), has no liquid damage, it's in a shock-absorbing case, and I'm the only one to use it. It was previously jailbroken but is not now, and I'm running 3.1.3.

Edit: Pressing Hold + Home for 10+ seconds does nothing. The phone still shuts off before loading the OS.

Any help is appreciated, since I'd REALLY like my phone back.

2. relienttu thread starter macrumors newbie

As an update, I'm home now and tried this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808 and nothing happened. Is there anything else I can try? I'd really like to have my phone back.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Restore in DFU mode (see my sig). As soon as the screen goes black let go of the power button.

4. relienttu thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that and it doesn't work.

I went ahead and called Apple and they're having me come in to get the phone replaced. It kind of sucks that it's a two hour drive, but I guess I can ask how much it would be to upgrade to the 3GS while I'm there.

So, problem solved, I guess.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Many times people do this wrong. Try, try again.

6. relienttu thread starter macrumors newbie

I read the directions, I did as they say. I did it at least four times. It doesn't work. I appreciate the tip, but it's apparently a dead phone.