iPhone 3G - 8GB model getting discontinued?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mesamac, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mesamac macrumors member

I am in the market to buy iPhone 3G 8GB model. All the places I called
    including Apple store, AT&T and Best Buy are out of stock and they
    haven't received 8GB stock for many days.

Is apple planning to discontinue 8GB and make 16GB same price
    as 8GB? Is it worth waiting few more weeks on this or
    just pay $100 bucks more and get 16GB anyways?

Thanks.

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

It will eventually be discontinued as larger flash drives becoming more available.

Buy a 8GB if you need it, wait if you can. No one is 100% when any updates will happen.

4. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

If you think you can wait another 5-6 months you should, otherwise if you have a time restriction (your current contract is up and you need a new one now) you should just pay a little extra and get the 16 gb version, it will save you a lot of trouble when your phone will be full of videos, music and applications.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

you can always wait, because there's always going to be a new model coming. unfortunately a lot of wishful thinkers seem to think it makes sense for Apple to release a 32GB model of the iPhone 3 months after the 3G was released. i think that is just not going to happen. it makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

so you can always wait for the next model, but then you end up waiting forever.

if you are wondering if the 8GB is getting discontinued in the next couple weeks, don't hold your breath. if your time frame is more like several months, than you might want to wait. but if you want an iPhone now, and are worried about a new model or price reduction in the very near future, i say don't wait.

7. mesamac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your replies.

I already sold my 1Gen phone and using Moto Razor for now. It sucks big time.
    Once we get used to iPhone, all other phones are really crappy.

I probably go ahead and get 16GB this weekend.

8. Cordless_Drill macrumors regular

Cordless_Drill

My local AT&T store was out of 8GBs for a bit, but they just received a new shipment today. Same for the Best Buy here as well.

Apple's still making em.

9. mesamac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That is very good information. I called local stores and they have it.
    So, I went quickly and grabbed 8GB model. Thanks again.

10. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Didn't Apple learn not to drop the price 35% after launching the iPhone? I doubt that they'll sell the 16GB iPhone 3G at $200, unless they want to get the same complaints as last year and offer a $50 gift card...

Actually, that wouldn't be too bad ;). They'll probably just get rid of the 8GB model since no one was buying it like they did with the 4GB iPhone last year.

11. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

12. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

i would imagine apple discontinuing the 8gig after the christmas craze and then introducing the 32... this is what they did with the 16 gig last year.

13. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

yeah except the 8gb has probably sold more than the 16.

14. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

discontinue the the phone just after 3 months. I don't think so. A lot of people want the 8gb iPhone. Price drop for what. The phones are selling like hot cakes.

15. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Apple did the same with the 4GB Last year.

16. Kaushal macrumors member

i read somewhere that as apple has changed the adapter, so it stopped and pulled back the 8 gigs and putting new adapter in the boxes.

and u are right about using other phones after iphone

my 1gen iphone conked off & i sold it and bought a 3g same day itself :p, despite having Nokia 95 as a backup phone......!!

cant use any other phone after using iphone :apple:

17. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Very good point. There was a recall on the adapter.

18. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I would imagine that they will continue to make 8g iphones. I believe that they will also start making 32g soon. They will offer all three. 8g 199, 16g 299, and 32g 399. They will sell a ton. I mean they have already sold a few million. Very high demand for this thing. Its probably a good thing that they have a exclusive contract with at&t because if all the other carriers had the iphone it would put some other companies out of business. Everyone would have one. I know I switched my wife and I over just for the iphone.

19. Kaushal macrumors member

only thing that confuses me is why the 16 gigs were not recalled :confused:

maybe as the demand for 8 gig is more......so the shortage:p

20. Kaushal macrumors member

i doubt a 32 gig version soon.......as the memory chips take a lotta space...and iphone does not have place for it

maybe apple could modify the design to make it bit thicker and accommodate the chip

21. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

The power adapters for all 3gs were recalled.

22. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

Didn't someone have a 16gb 3G iphone guts exposed and it showed 2x 8gb flash banks ?

so if that's the case then the phone thickness doesn't change....they could just put 2x 16gb banks :)

23. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I think he realises that. He's trying to tie the recall to the 8GB shortage.