iPhone 3g able to use just edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JDMFSeanP, Apr 24, 2008.

1. JDMFSeanP macrumors regular

I was just wondering, if they amp up the price on 3g will I be able to buy a new iphone yet still use the edge network only? Aka only pay for the old iphone plan

2. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Apparently 3G is backwards compatible, but I don't think ANYONE knows except for AT&T and Apple how the pricing for 3G or Edge will work.

3. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

Prices will probably stay the same and 3G is compatible with 2.5G (EDGE)

4. igglepuff macrumors regular

as mentioned, i dont think they will up teh price. thats just stupid. they already have 3g phones adn a small 3g network (i believe). It's fully backwards-compatable so old phones will be fine.

Cand wait for it to come out though to get a new phone :D

5. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, assuming that black concept is somewhat like the new phone, im going to be all over that for sure.

6. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

i know 3UK isnt backward compatible but other networks like vodafone and o2 and tmobile are backward comptaible

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Data is data. They're not going to charge you more to use the high-speed connection.

8. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

The pricing will most likely remain the same...otherwise the iPhone is the first smart phone (and phone in general) to have EDGE and 3G different pricing.

9. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

Thank god, now I just got to hope to god I can get a new one near release.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

But isn't the iPhone data plan cheaper than the Blackberry plan because of lack of 3G?

11. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Wouldn't it HAVE to be backwards compatible. I mean as many have said in thread after thread after thread, 3g isn't THAT wide spread YET. So if it's not backwards compatible and you aren't in a 3g area then what, you just don't have ANY data service? SURELY not. That would just be ridiculous.:rolleyes:

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I'm thinking it's more because Blackberrys run on their own network as opposed to running on the AT&T network...like the iPhone does. Of course because they run on their own network, it's like faster than most other phones...but I don't think it's directly related to specifically 3G as more maintaining the network which the money would come solely from the Blackberrys as opposed to maintaining the AT&T network which pricing comes from any kind of phone.

13. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Blackberrys have the normal data service PLUS the Blackberry mail system that Blackberry runs. That is why its more expensive.

14. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

thats what happens in the uk at times, we have a romaing partner with orange but somtimes doesnt conenct to it !

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Go check out tiers of DSL pricing before making such a claim. I wouldn't be shocked at all if AT&T gets another $5 out of people since the EDGE network is already getting hit hard by the iPhone traffic.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's not lower than just Blackberries, it's lower than what all the 3G phones pay at ATT.

Other 3G users obviously wouldn't appreciate a price difference.

Plus ATT would continue to make less money per iPhone user.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

That assumption leaves out the probability that 3G users will employ their high-speed connections more often than EDGE users bother with their data plan access now.

The impatience factor will be lower, resulting in more time spent surfing and much more data being downloaded. As usage increases, so does stress on the carrier's setup.

And so OF COURSE they will charge more. Even as we speak ATT is trying to figure out what to call the increase before the feds wake up and decide to claim it themselves :mad: and call it, what else, a high speed data tax.

18. saxamoophone macrumors regular

Actually.....while the blackberry's have their own package, all other PDA's cost way more.....the price is something like this:

$40 PDAs (So pretty much non-blackberrys, so Nokieas and Windows Mobile devices. Comes with 1500 text messages).

$20 Smartphone (I think they can cancel your package if you go over 100MB or something. Comes with 200 text messages).

So honetly, as of right now at least...the iPhone is a STEAL for the price. That's no doubt why they don't offer corporate discounts...since you're already getting it for the Smartphone rate, for a PDA.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What happens to alot of people that dont have 3G acess in their area and they purchase the new iphone?
    They'd pay a 3G fee thats higher than the previous models usage and still use EDGE most of the time?
    That dont make sense.
    I think data prices will stay the same.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Hello! Can you say, "iPhone in the UK" ?? ;)

Same thing, except substitute "EDGE" for "3G".

Very little EDGE coverage, yet those with just GPRS access pay the same as the much higher speed EDGE users.

21. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

the reason its lower is because apple pushed for it to be just $20. I remember the ATT people complaining about how it should be $40 but apple wouldn't have it.

22. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I have a Samsung A737 (and used to have an A707, both with 3G) on AT&T right now, and in 3G areas I can use 3G, and where there's no 3G, I can use EDGE. It doesn't matter if I used more 3G or EDGE data in any given month, the prices stay the same. No distinction between the two is ever made on my bill; it just shows up as data.

/thread ;)

23. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

If it doesn't then it pretty much kills the whole point of putting 3G in there. I can't think of a faster way to stunt sales. Here the networks had been trying to milk data charges for years and wondering why the uptake of 3G services was so low. Dhuuuu...

Competition and Apple forced O2 to provide half-decent "unlimited" data, but if they try pumping up the charges for the 3G iPhone there are in for a very very rude surprise.

24. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Bad analogy. If the iPhone had increased pricing for 3G data, it would be the first and only 3G capable phone doing so, and a clear money grab. I don't think they'd punch their own PR in the face that badly.

25. 3247 macrumors regular

UMTS networks usually cope with the traffic much better than EDGE networks.

UMTS with HSPA has been designed to handle the data traffic, whereas EDGE is a 3G extension to GSM - a standard that was originally designed for 9.6*kbit/s (compressed speech).