iPhone 3G abroad using data on local sim.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by domystevens, Jul 13, 2010.

1. domystevens macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm going to Israel tomorrow and I'll be taking my iPhone 3G with me. I've purchased an Orange Israel Big Talk sim card which is a pre paid sim so I have put credit on it.

The sim is only a 2G one and operates on GSM 900.

I called up Orange Israel and asked them to put an internet data package on to the sim, it's only a 2G (EDGE/GPRS) package as the sim is 2G. When I said I have an iPhone, they told me it wouldn't work so there's no point in adding the package, they said I need a 3G sim for it to work on the iPhone 3G and then they would add a 3G package.

Does anyone know if this is correct? Surely even if it only is a 2G data package I'm adding and I have a 2G sim then I'll still be able to browse on my iPhone 3G on EDGE/GPRS or will it really not work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

D.

EDIT: iPhone 3G running software version 3.1.2

2. Plain Lazy macrumors newbie

I bought a orange UK PAYG and put it in an iPhone 3G. I couldn't work out why i was only getting GPRS data until I was told I had a 2G sim.

Just make sure you turn off 3g data, but keep on cellular data in iOS4, or else it yips out a bit and sometimes says no service with a 2g sim.

3. domystevens thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

I'm still on 3.1.2. So as long as I have "Enable 3G' OFF and "Data Roaming" ON then there's no reason for me not to be able to browse on EDGE or GPRS? It's just the call centre not knowing what they're talking about (I hope)?

Thanks.

D.