iPhone 3G accelerometer slow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dailo, Jul 24, 2008.

1. dailo macrumors regular

I recently got the new iPhone, but when I try to go to Landscape mode sometimes it takes either a few times to get it right or takes a while for it to actually flip. Like when I am in iTunes I flip it into landscape mode it takes it a while before I finally see the album covers. Is this normal or do I have a faulty iPhone?

Does the phone normally flip instantly for everyone else?

2. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

3. random person macrumors 6502a

When I checked out ten or so 3G phones at the Apple Store I noticed that too. The accelerometer seemed all over the place - laggy and weird compared to my first gen iphone. I attributed that to the heavy handling that demo phones get in the stores but maybe it's a flaw?

4. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I've noticed it too.

It's less sensitive, which is a good thing in some cases and a bad thing in others. My first gen iPhone would sometimes switch orientations when I had no intentions of it doing so.

5. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I just tried my 3G. After tilting it to the side, before I say 1 second, it switches to cover flow. I try the other way, the same. And it worked just as fast almost flat, But near flat it can't tell any change. So overall, mine seemed responsive, as fast as it should be.

6. dailo thread starter macrumors regular

I think I just have a faulty one. I just tried it in Safari and it takes a few tries to get it back to portrait mode once it finally goes into Landscape mode. Hopefully they will have iPhones in stock at my local store to replace!

7. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Try a game like Dizzy Bee. It's a game you have to rotate the phone full 360 and hold it at various angles.

And all the words and menus rotate so you can control and read the game at any angle or upside down. As they all act like on pins and rotate to be level with gravity. They swing back and forth until they settle. The game knows when you lay it flat and warns you, saying the fruit get dizzy.

If the accelerometer wasn't working, I'd imagine it would act strange and be impossible to play, so possible good proof something is wrong.