iphone 3g, act as an ipod touch if de-activated? please read

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silentvelcr0, Sep 29, 2008.

1. silentvelcr0 macrumors newbie

Hello, I purchased the iphone 3g the day of release and have enjoyed it immensely so far, my issue is that recently I've had some unexpected hospital visits and bills, this combined with me not being able to work because of both college and medical issues I am probably going to have to cancel my contract with AT&T.

My question is will the iphone 3g act as an ipod touch, or even just an ipod if de-activated, or will it just not work at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

the iphone should work still, as long as you have the SIM card inside.

but if it doesnt work you can always unlock it and just use it as a regular ipod from now on

3. silentvelcr0 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, now, would i have to unlock it before or after cancellation?

would the wi-fi still work?

4. mckvakk macrumors regular

Or you could just buy an ATT PayGo sim and use that. Then you can even use it as a phone :)

5. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

A de-activated iPhone won't work, no, however if it's an activated iPhone without the SIM in it will behave as an iPod Touch (however, you can no longer do the software updates, as it requires a valid SIM)

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

Partially correct.

The iphone 3g is not as restrictive as the iphone first generation. Once the iphone 3g has been activated, it can function as an "ipod touch" without a ATT SIM. You can even update the software even without any SIM in the SIM card tray..

So you do not need to even have a SIM card in the iPhone 3g.