iPhone 3g Activation Process

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrittQ, Jul 3, 2008.

1. BrittQ macrumors regular

So do we know what the activation process will be like?

In store only? Or can we buy it and activate it via iTunes at home?

More specifically, can existing att&t iphone customers go in and have them look up their account - then sell the phone for the subsidized price. And the customer can go activate it at home on their own time?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Please search. In-store for the most part. There's a "penalty" if you don't unlock within 30 days, so you can apparently take some home...

Hey!

The unsubsidized iPhone! That's what that's for! Only the unsubsidized version can be taken home, but it must be activated within 30 days!

Woo! Mystery solved!

3. gibbz macrumors 68030

4. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Search for what? I think the OP's question was a very good one, and was in fact wondering the same thing myself.

I have watched all of the online videos, and read the various posts regarding this topic. All are particularly vague in describing what the actual process will be.

For example, will you need to remove your new Iphone from the box, and have an employee hook it up to a MAC in-store to complete the same registration process as with the 1st generation iphone? Or will they just scan the serial number and codes form the box at the time of purchase, thus "registering it" and that the second half of the process will be done at home? Or in-store I suppose, if one could find a free Mac on such a day.

I could see the process being very easy and straightforward if done, the way that I mentioned above, with the employee just scanning an unopened box, or very time consuming if it would require everyone to remove their phone and go through the entire process. The waiting may be very long and painful if done that way.

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Technically they should only need the IMEI and serial number (or maybe just the IMEI).

Isn't the process going to be reviewed July 6th (I think somewhere here said that).

6. gibbz macrumors 68030

Apple Stores are meeting on July 6th apparently to sure up the process so that their employees are trained properly.