iPhone 3G Activation Via iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Locker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Locker macrumors 6502

Aug 22, 2007
    Staffordshire, UK
    Maybe I've not seen the latest discussion surrounding the activation process for the iPhone 3G - but from the last I heard, I understood that I'd have to walk into an O2 store and walk out with one of their contracts active.

However, this snippet from an email I got back from O2 suggests that it may be more like the original iPhone:

Like I say, sorry if this has already been discussed, but the last I heard everyone thought iTunes activation was gone for good.
  2. adamerr macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2008
    lets hope its the case.
    probably will make it easier for eBay sellers. Yes?
    then again, they could just be reading off a sheet designed for the last iPhone..
  3. BergerFan macrumors 68020

Mar 6, 2008
    Mos Eisley
    I find it hard to beleive that Apple won't be selling the iPhone without activation via iTunes. I'm an existing iPhone owner in the UK on an O2 contract. All I want to do, is to buy a 16gb iPhone 3G to replace my current model, so I can give my old one to a friend to use as an iPod Touch.
    Surely I can just put my current sim card into the 3G and continue as normal?
  4. fastbite macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2007
    Like many others before me I walked into an 02 store today and asked a few questions. Basically what they said to me is that if you are an existing Iphone owner with them you will NOT need to go into a store to get a new iPhone 3G but that it will be send to you, then you insert your old sim ... But, I did get the feeling (just a feeling) that the woman at the counter wasn't 100% sure...
  5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

Jun 6, 2007
    Cheshire, United Kingdom.
    I often get that feeling in shops that sell hi-tech products! :D