Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hardliner

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Old Europe
Hello Gentlemen,

first let me tell you, that the macrumors threads were always the best source, when I had issues.

I was pleased the jailbreak-scene gave us 4.1.

My question for all 3G-users.

When making a new ispw. file on Pwange-tool, did you guys clicked on "background" and "multitasking" or did you left it out?

Sometimes my iPhones restart, for expample when I switch from one radio app to another.

Which is the best settings for 3G-users? I like the new beackground.

2. I remember back in the day of jailbreaking, they always said not to restore from a backup at the last step, always setup as a new phone.

Is it still that way?

I'd rather restore from a backup if it doesn't make a difference.

Again, thank you for any tips!

str0ppy

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I always start with a fresh restore and never restore a backup afterwards. Just to make sure everything is as clean as possible.

As for the user wallpaper and multitasking options, you'll probably want to leave them out if you've got a 3G. I've even dumped Winterboard just to get a bit of extra speed out of it.

Keep it as simple as possible unless you want things grinding to a halt.

hardliner

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Old Europe
Thank you Sir.

Then how about your data, like mails and contacts. Do you put them manually afterwards?

Will do a new installation without multitasking and background pal.

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I added the background, but not multitasking. I always setup as a new phone. My contacts, notes, etc get copied over from iTunes. I only use gmail for mail, so everything is on their servers. I disabled all Spotlight searching at first, but then found out about NoSpot on Cydia so I no longer have Spotlight at all. Even with the background, winterboard, and sbssetings, I would say my 3G feels the same on 4.1 as it did when running early 3.0 firmware.

No ice please

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
You can leave wallpapers on. Just make sure you remove the icon shadow from springboard, it really bogs down performance. And make sure to restore as new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.