iPhone 3G and iOS 4 GM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hellscream2005, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Hellscream2005 macrumors newbie

So, I installed the GM on my iPhone 3G right after it was confirmed it didn't require a registered UDID. The first thing I did was just restore my phone and use a backup so I keep my game progress and messages. Well, that wasn't such a smart choice as the phone would slow to a crawl. Forget about nitpicking on animations, all actions were pretty much transition-less and it would take the phone 5-7 seconds to open any app. Very frustrating. Anyway, I kept on reading on these forums how pleased people were with the GM, so I decided to just restore again, set up as new phone and give it another go.
    First time the phone booted up it all worked decently, animations were somewhat fluid, the only app that took a couple of seconds to open was Settings and I was fine with that. But as the day went on the phone would work each time worse. And this was noticeable from the moment I woke up the phone from sleep mode. Itll take it a couple of seconds to fully wake up. Typing was a nightmare, registering taps (most of the time) but not being able to see the letters typed until 2 or 3 seconds passed.
    So, while I know this is just a GM candidate, and may not be the final firmware (but probably is) i'm kinda sad to know my 3G will suck on iOS 4. No wonder Apple left out the wallpapers and the backgrounding. But I hoped without all that stuff they would have made sure the OS is usable for everyday usage. Maybe they'll improve the OS with future updates, but as it is I don't think it is by FAR worth updating for us 3G owners, we only gain like some features and trade-off is just not worth it. I reverted to 3.1.3 and it's like a breath of fresh air. My phone actually works now.
    So that's my experience with iOS 4 GM on my 3G. Do other 3G share my view? Don't flame me, I'm just sharing my point of view on the subject. I did a quick search and didn't find a forum that talked about this. Everyone is suspiciously happy with iOS 4 haha.

PS: I'm definitely buying an iPhone 4 when I can afford it (not for a few months) so I'm not hating on the platform, but I hoped my 3G would be able to rock on until that time :(

2. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

I found it to be slow and sluggish on my 3G as well.

3. spawnhelldog macrumors newbie

Same story here....

With the iOS 4 GM my iPhone 3G is not usable, not even to make phone calls.
    Everything runs too slow.

I hope they fix this in future updates because from a functionality point of view the difference between iOS 3.1.3 and iOS4 is not significant for this phone, so there's no reason for this bad performance.

4. Desmondhuz macrumors member

Desmondhuz

IOS 4 on my 3g

I've been running iOS 4 for about a week now and though the install went pretty well, I've been disappointed with how much it has slowed the entire system down, especially everyday tasks. Its seems as though its slowing the more I use it, but perhaps it was just my excitement about the new os. I can completely see why we got a scaled down version of 4.0 since what we got seems to not be compatible with our hardware. Multitasking and custom backgrounds would just further slow down performance. If this Gold Master is the final release on 6.21 for the 3G, Jobs will be getting a lot of complaints in his inbox from 3G users. I would be more happy downgrading back to 3.1.3 until my iPhone 4 arrives on the 24th :)