iPhone 3G and now 3G(S) - does the screen scratch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amitdoc2b, Jun 11, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Hi.

I actually have the iPhone 3G and am getting the iPhone 3G(S)...

But I never have used the iPhone 3G without a Power Support anti-glare screen protector (so that I can protect it from fingerprints).

The new iPhone 3G(S) will come with a special coating on the screen so that its protected from fingerprints, hence eliminating the need for the Power Support screen protector.

My only concern is.. will the screen scratch without the screen protector on? I am sure anyone who owns an iPhone 3G and never used a screen protector could possibly answer this..

So do you recommend the screen protector (for the sake of scratch protection and greasy hands) -or- should I just use it without a screen protector since the new iPhone 3G(S) is fingerprint resistant now?

Your help is really appreciated.. thanks!

2. AlfaLavala macrumors regular

There's lots of similar comments spread across other threads.

Depends how you carry your phone, treat it etc. If you're worried most protectors aren't that expensive...

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The screen doesn't scratch nearly as easily as a plastic screen. But it will scratch by something that is harder than glass (sand, for example).

That being said my 3G's screen doesn't have a single scratch on it and I never used a screen protector.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I've a 3G since a week after launch, and it's been naked the whole time. I don't have one scratch on the screen.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I've had a 1st Gen iPod Touch since launch and I got my first scratch about a month ago.

For what it's worth.

6. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

This is an interesting one.

For the 2G and 3G, you'll have a hard time scratching it (though it's possible if you put your mind and keys to it) as it's glass. Mine doesn't have a mark on it.

3GS will also be glass, but whether the coating can be worn off is another question, one that nobody will have an answer to yet.
    I can tell you that the anti-glare coating on my 2G's camera is visibly wearing off, you can see if you tilt it against the light, and it's been kept in a case. We'll have to wait and hope.

7. gumball981 macrumors member

I've had the phone naked for a while now...and don't have a single scratch. :)

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You can't scratch it with keys because glass is harder. You'd sooner break it from applying too much pressure than scratch it with your keys.

You can only scratch glass with something that's harder than glass (sand, diamond...)

9. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I'm putting the anti-glare screen protector on mine either way. I would rather scratch the protector than the screen. And I HATE finger prints. who knows how "fingerprint resistant" this stuff really is? Maybe it won't be as good or better than the screen protector is. I wont get to find out though because to be be 100% sure you'll have a bubble-free protector you have to apply it the second you unbox it.

10. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I bought a 1st gen iPod Touch the first week they came out and have one scratch on the glass (near the side, ~1/4 inch long). It's been there for about a year now; not really sure what caused it. Never used any kind of protector except for an invisishield on the back.

Beautiful devices like these should go through life naked. I'm getting an iPhone on the 19th and that will be naked too!

11. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I took off my screen protector today and it looks so much crisper and clearer! :D I'm glad I saw this thread, it re-enforced my decision :)

12. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I use power support crystal shield.. it's literally invisible and it gives me piece of mind, the glass is resilient but it can def. be scratched

13. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I've also had the 3G since launch day and its sans any kind of protection. The only place I've even noticed scratches have been some very small, hardly noticeable, scratches on the back of the phone.

14. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

They have great scratch resistance! Every time somebody asks to see my iPhone I always end up showing them the car keys to screen trick. Not a scratch. It's pretty amazing :)

I love the look on people's faces when they see me pull out my car keys XD