iPhone 3G and O2 Call & SMS Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by krayziekray, Nov 3, 2009.

1. krayziekray macrumors 6502

Is anyone else having an issue with getting text messages or calls with O2 pay monthly. I've been having this problem for about 4 to 5 days. I receive text messages one day after they have been sent and when people call me, they are "Transferred" to my Voice mail.

I have called O2 and they say it could be my SIM that need replacing, but i have tried my SIM in another phone, and got text messages and calls straight away. They then said it could be my phone. I tried another sim in my iPhone, and that worked perfectly too. :confused:

I spoke to two of my mates and they say this also happens to them occasionally. Anyone had this problem? Anyone, found a solution?

And yes, i have reset network settings, and done a full restore (setting up as a new phone).

Any ideas?

:apple: KrayzieKray :apple:

P.S. I can make calls and send texts, internet (3G) is working fine too. :eek:

2. Interpolation macrumors regular

I have the issue with calling to other iphones, and iphones calling me.

It seems to be a bug with the 3G. What I have found is, if I try to call an iphone and it goes straight to vmail, turn of 3g and then turn it back on and it works.

I have read that people have disabled push and/or notifications and that has fixed it.

3. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

:eek: A bug with the 3G :eek:

It was working fine for me until a couple of days ago, I'm gunna give it a shot (disabling Push and Push notifications) to see if it helps. If this is indeed a bug .... IT'S MAJOR ... needs to be resolved quickly!!!

I'm assuming it's a bug within the software then, because a friend of mine who has the 3GS also says he's having this problem.

4. Interpolation macrumors regular

Yep it's a software bug, introduced in the last release. It's something to do with the iphone loosing the 3g signal, and not detecting it properly.

5. BNZ1 macrumors regular

Same here. When I answer my phone people often tell me they have just called 3 or 4 times but it went to voicemail. The whole time I have been at home where I get full bars on 3G.

6. cap'njack macrumors member

I'm getting this all the time and it's starting to get very annoying, not been able to fix it so far and O2 have been no help whatsoever...my iPhone is also 3 weeks out of warranty so no help from :apple: either :(

7. Interpolation macrumors regular

Yep I get it ever so often.

I think the phone looses the 3g but still thinks it has it. By stopping the 3g and then starting it it resets it.

The is a thread on the O2 forum about it.

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12028&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Here is some more info:

This is all based on your 3G signal; if your not in a great area for it, then i'd just switch it off.

The iPhone will be constantly searching for a 3G signal when it's active, and at points will make your phone "temporaraly out of network coverage" as said in your own post which in turn delays the reciept of text messages, diverts your calls to voicemail, and also prevents you from making calls.

The iPhone will no doubt show its got full 3G signal, when it doesn't.

The iPhone is designed to revert to EDGE or GPRS when it experiences loss of signal, but this will only happen when the iPhone recognises the loss.

8. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Are you updated to 3.1.2?

That was supposed to fix this problem.

9. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeh, I started having this issue with 3.0.1 installed, but now I'm on 3.1.2 and still having the issue.

10. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Then I would try disabling 3G for a few days and see if that fixes it.

If it does then a visit to the Apple store to complain would seem in order.

11. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, gunna give it a shot. Thing is I'm 2 months out of warranty so don't think Apple will be helping me.

12. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

So as soon as I turned off the 3G, my phone started working again. Calls and SMS started to appear from upto 2 days ago.

As soon as I turn on my 3G, I stop getting calls and SMS messages. This is really annoying (to put it nicely) as I constantly use my iPhone for Internet browsing and need 3g for decent speed.

Anyone know when the bug will be fixed. Feels as if Apple releases for the iPhone have been sub-par in recent months. Anyone else feel this? Too many problems with the iPhone firmware. From push issues to BASIC phone calls and SMS services.

13. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

It's hard to know.

But the more people who post about the problem on Apple's feedback pages, the better the chance, I guess

Actually, re-reading your first post you say "I have called O2 and they say it could be my SIM that need replacing, but ..... I have tried another sim in my iPhone, and that worked perfectly". That suggests to me they may be right, and that you should ask them to give you a replacement SIM for your phone number. That may well fix it.

14. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

True, but I just tried it again, and that SIM (the one that worked perfectly) was on the GPRS network not 3G ... i don't have any other O2 3G SIM's that I could use to test it, so that could be the reason it was working.

But, just to make sure, i think i'll give O2 a ring tomorrow and get a new SIM ordered ... totally random this bug, working perfectly and all of a sudden it stopped .... it would have made sense if i updated the firmware etc. and the bug was introduced, but i was on 3.0.1 since its release and it was working fine.

Guess I'll have to wait for the SIM to be delivered now. Another 3-5 working days :S

15. krayziekray thread starter macrumors 6502

Just thought I'd update you guys incase anyone else is having this problem. I called O2 and ordered a replacement SIM. Once received and activated (having to call up again), the issue has been resolved. So far in the last hour I have been able to receive texts and calls :D

16. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000