Iphone 3G and Tmobile.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Manikstor, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Manikstor macrumors member

Hi, i currently have tmobile and wanted to purchase a new phone.
    so i was thinking about the iphone 3g. Right now i have a nokia nuron, it's a smart phone with 3g capabilities, not the best 3g phone but it works.
    so i pay 10$ for unlimited data with this phone my question is, if i switch to the iphone can i still use the same data plan? and no its not edge its actually 3g. would my plan and bill remained the same?

also what are the pros and con's of using iphone unblocked? as far as i remember u couldn't receive pic message, is that still going on?

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can use the same plan but with an iPhone on Tmobile u will be using edge, not 3G for data.

3. Manikstor thread starter macrumors member

why is it that i would be using edge if im currently using 3g with the current phone?

is it something with the iphone, like its program to use the 3g from att only? and if unblocked can only used up to edge?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, because the 3G chip inside all iphones are not compatible with Tmobile USA 3G bands.
    You will have to unlock it anyway to use it on tmobile but you still can only get Edge for data with tmobile.

5. Manikstor thread starter macrumors member

ah, i understand. So either way there will be no point in having this 3G network i currently have on the iphone because it will turn into EDGE.

i never had EDGE but do you think its good enough to go on online maybe watch a couple vids or even use the google maps/gps on the iphone
    or the egde is not worth it?

6. LifeInLoFi macrumors member

LifeInLoFi

I had an unlocked 2G on T-Mobile here for years. I really liked T-Mobile's signal here in DFW and many other markets.

You'll be able to do a lot on the EDGE network, but you'll do it pretty slowly, depending on where you are. I don't suggest watching videos on EDGE or anything that involves a lot of bandwidth.

Maps, email, Twitter, Facebook, browsing -- all worked fine for me on EDGE. Slowish, but fine. If you stay with TMo on your 3G, I'd suggest turning the 3G feature off to help extend battery life.

=M=