iphone 3G and Ultrasnow 1.2.4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Nevrsadie, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

I have an old 3G that I keep around as a backup. It is jailbroken and unlocked on ios 4.01 and has 5.13.04 baseband. I never upgraded to 4.2.1 becuase of the warnings about upgrading the bb to 6.15.
    quoted from iClarified

My question is now that ultrasnow has been updated, is it safe for me to update to 4.2.1 without number 3 above happening?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

When you upgrade your phone to 4.2.1, your baseband will upgrade to 05.14 which can't be unlocked by ultrasn0w.

The warning from dev team is only for those who install Ipad baseband onto their phone.

So, if you want to remain unlockable status, you need to cook a customs firmware 4.2.1 and restore to that. This you can do months ago and have nothing with the ultrasn0w update now. This update is so it is compatible with 5.0.1.

3. gugy macrumors 68030

Hi Crystal,
    I went by your sugestion to clarified.com and once there I got a bit lost with all the different options for JB and unlock my iPhone 3G. Also some of the links there to download the software are broken.

I have an iPhone 3G with 4.2.1 and modem firmware 05.15.04
    My wish is to unlock it, use overseas to make local calls using a local SIM card. I have Mac as my main computer and I would still like to manage my content using iTunes.

What's the easiest and best way to achieve this? Since you seem to be very knowledgeble about this stuff I hope you or anyone can shed some light.
    Thanks again for any help!

4. Nevrsadie thread starter macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

Thanks, like I said I dont use the 3g, its just a backup. Every once in a while I check in to see if i can update it. I will use redsnow and make a new ipsw for it and see how it goes.

5. Nevrsadie thread starter macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

Nevermind redsnow doesnt support custom ipsw with iphone 3G. Pwnage tool only works on a mac, I am currently windows only. Now I remember why I didnt do this along time ago!

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Follow instruction on this link;

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12947

Make sure you read the tutorial carefully because you might need to skip few step because you have this firmware on your phone already.

Come back here if you have any issue.

----------

Use sn0wbreeze.

7. gugy macrumors 68030

Thanks I will try this!