iPhone 3G anticipated Late Spring/Early Summer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Edwardz, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Edwardz macrumors regular

In regards to not seeing a hardware update to the iPhone today at MacWorld, do you think we will see 3G come into the iPhone late spring/early summer? Possibly WWDC? I would love to see it. I had high hopes for the 3G announcement today for a late spring release, but nothing was said. However, maybe there is still a chance. People keep telling me to stop waiting for the next big hardware update, but I know I will be upset with myself if I bought the iPhone now and 3G comes out 4 or 5 months down the road.
    I would love to see some comments of yours concerning the anticipation of the 3G iPhone Late Spring/Early Summer.

2. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

We will see an iphone update 1-2 months before the existing AT&T/O2 start to run out, this way apple will sell a new iphone to the exisit people with iphones and new people....

3. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

1-2 months? i say 1 year exactly. so june

4. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

1-2 months? i say 1 year from when it was released exactly. so june

5. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Argh - this is really killing me, not knowing.
    I finally have enough to afford an iPhone (thanks to an Apple gift card), and I waited a couple of weeks until today, to see if there were any announcements. But no such luck. If they had made an announcement that a version 2 was coming in June or maybe even July, I would have definitely waited. But if it's August or later, I don't want to be that long without an iPhone.

So do I go ahead and get one now (with the possibility of getting burned by a new version coming in June or even sooner)?

Or do I try and wait, and get burned with a version 2 not coming until August or later in the year?

Honestly, I don't care about 3G, higher capacities, a slimmer model, or any of the other things people have been asking for. I just want a slightly better camera. That way I can forget about needing to get a digital camera that I desperately need, as I'd have everything in one device. I know the iPhone's camera is decent for a phone, but it falls a little short of what I want for a camera (and I'm not even looking for anything too advanced, either!).

I'm really agonizing over this decision.... :(

I'll probably go ahead and get the phone now, though -- and just be happy with a cool phone.

6. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

I figured they wouldn't be releasing a new iPhone revision today. All that's stopping me from picking up an iPhone for myself to replace my Sony-Ericcson W810i is the capacity. I have 32 GB of music on my iPod (I'm a "I like to have everything with me" kind of person), and while I could pare it down a bit, restricting it to under 8 GB would be tough. I rip my music in 192kbps, so I know that gives it a bit more space, too. I think I could live with 16 GB--I used a 10 GB iPod for years.

The camera I'm not so worried about. 2 megapixels is good for day-to-day sorts of stuff. "Hey, that's neat!" moments. I don't care about taking pictures for keepsakes with a cellphone--I'll use a real (digital) camera for that. I only carry a real camera with me when I know I'll be taking pictures--holidays, trips, etc--anyway.

Besides storage, my only real impediment is I want to see how they'll be doing apps come February. I'm...skeptical of what I've read so far and uncertain what they'll ultimately doing, and I'll hold off on going the legit route before I jailbreak anything.

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Not going to happen. A 3G phone will require FCC approval which takes 6 months. The application would be public so we will all know well in advance.

Why did people still bring up these questions. There are going to be NO surprise hardware updates to cell phones period.

8. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

You are absolutely incorrect. Do a search for once. FCC approval only takes 6 weeks. Apple just held off on selling it so they could produce bigger revenue. You ARE right about no surprise updates though.

I figure the iPhone 2 will come out around a year after the iPhone's release so current iPhone users can just add 2 more years to their plan. Hopefully it will be sooner than that, but that is pretty unlikely.

9. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

Apple would have been incredible stupid to announce forthcoming 2008 iPhone hardware upgrades at MacWorld today, as it would have killed their sales until then. Announcing the iPhone six month early last year only served to whet our appetites since they had no competing products at the time.

AT&T already spilled the beans on a 2008 3G iPhone, and assuming The Wrath of Steve doesn't come down on them somehow, I'm certain that we'll see at least a storage boost by year's end.

10. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I finally said screw it and went out and bought one. No, litterally, just now. Time to unbox and hook up. :) I'll either sell or gift this one when I feel v2 is enough of a reason to upgrade. Unfortunately, that will probably be this year. :( I really should have bought sooner.

11. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Superman07 -- I just did the same thing!
    Syncing the phone now. I was amazed at how lightning fast activation was.

Now to play with my iPhone!

12. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

they said late '08 so i assume they will release about end of summer as they always give themselves extra time, under promise over deliver.

13. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

What about Uk users? Will we have to wait like last time?

14. Surely Guest

Surely

That's why they didn't announce that a new version is coming out. If they did, most people would wait until July or August (or whenever) and they would lose sales and money. Why would Apple make an announcement that would be sure to kill business? They were able to do it with the introduction of the iPhone because it wasn't an upgrade.

You just want a slightly better camera? The iPhone has a 2MP camera now, what do you want, 3.2MP? That won't make a huge difference. And it wouldn't have optical zoom anyway.

I've seen some great photos taken with the current iPhone:
    Thread

15. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

16. Bush438 macrumors member

Its obvious what they will do here.

WWDC to announce a Christmas 08 release.

Mark my words, its too obvious this is the approach.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

Makes sense to me. A little too much sense. Hmmm......:D

/Please disregard my above comment. After further review (meaning reading Justinerator's comment below and googling WWDC), I disagree with Bush438's quoted statement above. I was unaware the WWDC takes place before the summer. That's way too long between announcing an iPhone upgrade and selling it. Apple would never do that.

18. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

It wouldn't make sense for apple financially.

19. Edwardz thread starter macrumors regular

Apple would not do that, nor would any other company. They would lose revenue on their current iPhone and sales would just decrease hysterically. When they announce it, they will start shipping the day of or a month after.

20. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

i agree. i'm hoping it will be released sooner than summer though :eek:

21. Surely Guest

Surely

Apologies. I did not know that WWDC is in the summer. I thought it was closer to Xmas. I guess I should have googled it before posting my comment.

I have edited my comment to reflect this new info.

Thanks Justinerator.:cool:

22. Puck. macrumors member

Puck.

I just bought one today as well due to no announcement. I have a pretty terrible phone and have waited long enough.

23. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

hey no prob :D

24. rainycici macrumors newbie

3G for IPHONE

Hey I know Magicsim Turbosim works perfectly for 3 G !!! who wants buy contact me :p

25. rainycici macrumors newbie