Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Alright everybody, in the yearly shuffle of iPhones around my family, We got two brand new iPhone 4's and a 3GS. With that, I had an Original iPhone, 3GS, and 3G come back to me. I activated my 3GS on another line. So I was left with a 3G and Original, the last step was my mom, she has an original, and I figured I would just give her the 3G, at the very least she can take advantage of the Microcell, however, before I gave it to her, I was going to update it, but then I thought, should I? Is there anything worthwhile with iOS 4 on the 3G? From what I have heard, iOS blows on the 3G. She could care less about anything more than Texting and Facebook, so whats the verdict guys? My dad never updated it, so it is literally still on 3.0, from when I gave it to him. Can I even still upgrade it to the latest 3.x release?

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Apple was clear that iOS4 was intended for 3GS and iphone 4.

It'll run like a dog on 3G. Any functionality gains will be dwarfed by how much it'll slow down the phone.

Stick with the last 3.X upgrade and it'll be a much better phone.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
I updated my 3G a week before getting my iPhone 4, I would strongly recommend sticking with iOS3.x - it was painfully slow and unresponsive.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
my mom, she has an original, and I figured I would just give her the 3G, at the very least she can take advantage of the Microcell, however, before I gave it to her, I was going to update it, but then I thought, should I?

You probably shouldn't.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Well, looks like I have my answer. Haha. Keeping it on 3.0 was my plan, but I figured I would get a second opinion. She seems happy anyways, I asked her if she wanted 4.0 and she said something about "I want my antenna to work." So there is the media for you. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.