Iphone 3g As A GoPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dartmanx, Feb 4, 2012.

1. dartmanx macrumors newbie

I inherited a used 3g, which, even though old, was better than the cheap gophone I had been using. The 3g had previously been on AT&T (even though it was a contract and not prepaid). Unfortunately, a simple swap didn't work.

I eventually downgraded ios to 3.1.3 and jailbroke it. However, since it seems to be impossible to change the IMEI number to match my old phone, I think I'm stuck.

Is it possible to buy a new $10 go phone just for the SIM, then activate that sim for the iphone?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

normally a simple go phone sim works your IMEI doesn't have anything to do with it on a GSM network just pop the sim in. Are you staying on AT&T or trying to change networks as well. btw look at H20 as well they use AT&T network so no unlock is needed.

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Your sim isn't working because it's bonded by imei to the cheap gophone it came with.

This is what you need to do. Go to an AT&T store and a get a gophone sim there for your iphone. Hand the iphone to them they'll make sure it works in the phone. They'll then tell you you can't get data. There's another recent thread on here where I detailed all the steps needed to enable data by using an apple program called the iphone configuration utility. You will then be able to use data as well. I've used a gophone sim for years in my iphones.

4. dartmanx thread starter macrumors newbie

But didn't I bind the IMEI to the cheap gophone myself when I activated it? That's why I had the idea to get the cheap phone and use the SIM in the iphone instead. There's also the fact that Walmart is much closer than the closest AT&T store, so factoring in gas money it's about break even.

There's also the fact that I don't really know what will happen if I hand AT&T store dude a jailbroken phone.

I have no problem paying the $50/month for full unlimited. It's still cheaper than a regular plan.

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I see what you tried to do now. I've also gone that route and same issue. Maybe the imei is bonded to that iccid when it ships from the factory? I've read that you could use an active AT&T sim from another phone that is active to activate your iphone then install the gophone sim. Your mileage may vary.

AT&T store is the way to go.