iPhone 3G as bedside clock - Potential Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Loonytik, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I have an iPhone 4 and use my 3G basically as an iPod Touch now. I want to ditch my old alarm clock and use my 3G as my bedside clock/alarm/sleep sound player etc.

I've found a small footprint dock here:http://www.brookstone.com/idesign-f...=searchResults|C4CategoryProdList1FDT|7881985 that fits my needs well.

My worry is two-fold, one, what will leaving my 3G docked and charging all the time do to the battery? And two, if the display is always running and showing the time, what will it do to the display? I'm worried the battery will be diminished by leaving it docked and the display getting "burn in" of the numbers.

Anyone have experience using a touch or iPhone like this?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I don't think you have anything to worry about for the battery. If it's fully charged, it runs on AC power like a computer. As for the screen, I doubt the LCD would show burn-in-- it's not like a plasma.

3. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I've thought about using my iPad that way but am a little paranoid. Not that I'll hurt the device, but that a rare glitch will make me late for an important meeting or something. I realize iOS devices are highly reliable, but nothing is more reliable than a real alarm clock, and I've had rare occasions where I've grabbed my phone in the morning and found it locked up or shut down. It's probably only happened once or twice in a couple years, but just my luck it will happen when I've got a business trip scheduled or something.

I'm probably worrying too much.

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I think it's a valid concern.

I am fortunate that my internal clock is fairly punctual, but I know some updates over the years have broken the alarm clock on my different iPhones.

5. Username02 macrumors regular

Since getting my iPhone 4, this is exactly the use my iPhone 3G has been assigned to.

It sits next to my bed in a Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere 2 speaker and I use the iHome+Sleep clock app (which has a cool dimmer slider for bedtime)
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ihome-sleep-alarm-clock-app/id346249053?mt=8 which is on constantly.

This app has been running pretty much 24/7 since July and so far no ill effects to the screen as far as burn in. Absolutely none.

As far as battery health... I am really not sure as it really just sits there and only gets picked up to be used as a remote and to get synced with the main iTunes computer.

The phone functions as:

- a bedside clock, alarm (using the built in Clock app) I found the built in alarm to be the easiest to use and the most reliable.

- using the Logitech speaker dock, the iPhone also serves as a music player using the iPhone 3G as the source. It is perfect for listening to an ambient playlist while *trying* to fall asleep.

- a VNC viewer for all machines in the house (w/ iTeleport http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iteleport-jaadu-vnc-for-iphone/id286470485?mt=8). It's awesome to be able to check something quick on any machine in the house without having to get out of bed.

- a remote for my iTunes (Apple's Remote app) for when streaming content or using the Apple TV in my bedroom.

- a remote for my iMac which is tethered to the TV in the bedroom for Hulu. (Mobile Mouse Pro http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobile-mouse-pro-remote-trackpad/id289616509?mt=8)

Now I can leave my iPhone 4 in the other room at night and not be woken up at 5 in the morning by calls from morning person clients or friends while still being able to use all these great features on my 3G.

Throwing out my old panasonic radio alarm was the best thing ever.

6. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I just don't trust my iPhone as an alarm. I know odds are rare that something will happen, but I give myself pretty much the minimum amount of time I need to get ready, and I know my clock radio gets me up. I like waking up to music, and right now you need a 3rd party app to do that. I've heard too many stories about alarms failing if you get a text message, etc.