iPhone 3G / AT&T/ GPS and Data Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jpbeck76, Jun 15, 2009.

1. jpbeck76 macrumors member

jpbeck76

Hello,

Newbie here so be gentle. I'm getting a 32GB GS after the rush dies down (it'll be my first). A buddy of mine purchased a 3G - 8GB model for $99.00. I asked him about the GPS and he was told by the sales rep said that in order to take advantage of the GPS option, it would be an additional $10/month.

I was always under the assumption that something like this was covered under the unlimited data plan we are required to purchase along with the phone.

Could someone on the board elaborate? I was questioning my friend and he seemed pretty adamant on what the rep told him.

Thanks,

- James

2. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

GPS does not use data and does not cost extra. Maps, which the GPS uses, needs data to download the maps from the internet so you don't just see a blue dot on a background of nothing. I believe there are Apps that come bundled with their own maps so you don't need service to view, and I'm sure more are coming now that Turn-by-turn is here.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If you get the $30 data plan, the in-built GPS, and any GPS app from the App Store is covered.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not call/check with ATT, they can confirm/deny such a charge.

Personally it sounds like BS but only they (att) will tell you for sure.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

They can't charge for GPS unless they are offering their own, streaming GPS client. The GPS 'service' itself is free. If you buy, say, the TomTom app, it stores maps locally and there's no monthly charge involved.