iPhone 3G AT&T - How to make it work on Vodafone Egypt's Network

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alibaba012, Feb 21, 2009.

1. alibaba012 macrumors newbie

Okay,

So i got a real issue and i would really appreciate any professional guidance.
    So, i bought an AT&T iPhone 3G factory sealed. Its now still factory sealed and still in the box, i haven't opened it yet. I would like someone to assist me in the process of jailbreaking it and unlocking it. What's giving me a real scare is that i can't update through iTunes because the new version on iTunes is 2.2.1 and the unlock available now only works on 2.2 (I understand that from reading through posts etc..)
    I just need someone to assist me in understanding exactly what i need to do from the second i take the phone out of the box to syncing it with the PC. I've looked through many tutorials but they all seem to talk about downloading the update to 2.2 through iTunes as a FIRST step, but i can't do that obviously because the update available on iTunes is 2.2.1,. Strongly appreciate any help from someone who knows exactly what to do.
    *I'm on Windows Vista

Regards,

Please can anyone help?

2. MST macrumors 6502

MST

The first thing I would suggest you do is actually get the iPhone out of the box, turn it on and determine what FW it's currently running, the chances are it could already have 2.2.

3. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

4. alibaba012 thread starter macrumors newbie

should i have my home sim card inserted when i proceed with the iClarified process?

5. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Well all that the link I gave you does is download the firmware to your PC.

The tutorial to unlock on 2.2 is here:
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=2538

I'm not 100% sure of the answer to your question but I think you should probably try with your home SIM, yes

6. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I concur.

7. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Well, im pretty sure it work if you just go over there and pay the roaming fees . :D:D

8. alibaba012 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, then i wouldn't have gone through all this hassle in the first place. i'll give it a shot, i just want to know from you guys what would be the worst that could happen to my iphone if i do something wrong while jailbreaking/unlocking

9. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

The worst? You have to restore it and start all over again, it's no big deal. I messed mine up first time but got it right 2nd time :)

10. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

So happy you took it as a joke. That's how I meant it. Good luck though. :D

11. alibaba012 thread starter macrumors newbie

so does that mean i can jailbreak and unlock the iPhone with NO SIM CARD IN IT? Or would i have to have an AT&T sim card in it since it was bought from AT&T..? that's all i need to know, thanks in advance

12. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

13. alibaba012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot, thats all i wanted to know. Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciate