iphone 3G ATT to 4S with Verizon Contacts help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Pjoseph, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Pjoseph macrumors member

So i recently made the switch, I did not have my computer with itunes that I usually use since I am letting someone borrow it, so all i wanted was to transfer contacts, so I downloaded itunes on another computer running windows 7 I backed up my old phone on itunes and then restored from that backup to my new phone and the contacts did not transfer and the box was checked.

I then tried to sync my old phone and transfer contacts to google contacts and then sync them back but all the numbers got erased and all i had was email addresses.

I messed around with and now Im confussed
    I am starting to keep my contacts in google gmail now as a backup

How do I send new contacts or music from phone to Itunes and How do I send contacts from computer (like from google contacts) to the iphone?
    When I sync using Itunes is there a way to see a list of all the contacts in itunes?

2. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

i also switched from a 3g to a 4s, but the problem there was that the 3g was stopped at ios 4.2.x while the 4s came with 5.0.1. I don't think you can restore a 5+ device to a 4.x backup without unlock/jailbreak. (Correct me if im wrong here...fried brain)

What you should do is either enable icloud (free 5GB) which will store your contacts and whatever else information (calendar, email etc) you choose to the online servers. Therefore if you wipe your phone or lose contacts again, they will be safe. I believe you could also sync with google contacts when you set up your gmail account (along with calendar). These are all options to circumvent using a computer, although its the most common way to sync apps, contacts, mail, etc.

cheers