iPhone 3G available without data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Caezar, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Caezar macrumors 6502

Will the iPhone be sold in some countries without a data plan?

2. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

No, the reason the new Iphone is so cheap is because you end up paying it back eventualy with the data plan, so your provider would be LOSING money with you.

CHEAT: You can call your provider and cancel your DATA (at least with ATT) but you will loose all forms of voice mail as well which is hard to loose.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I'm under the impression that AT&T REQUIRES a Data Plan with all the Smartphone/PDA's it subsidizes...

They get their money back quicker that way... (in the iPhone's case it's $325).'

Other countries it's possible.

4. Caezar thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, but what abouyt other countries? The reason I am asking is because I am in China.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm

Why would you not want a data plan? Wouldn't a 1G iPhone make more sense?

6. yode macrumors 6502

I talked to at&t about this and they said all other PDA's and blackberries do NOT need a data plan, they just said the iPhone is an exception to the rule and must have a data plan. I remember the iPhone first gen being able to have its data plan canceled but it was through an at&t error on their website. And why would you lose all forms of voicemail? you can still get traditional voicemail...

7. mongoose33 macrumors newbie

Cancel data plan?

I'm teetering on buying an iphone but won't use email and internet on it. I have a family plan with unlimited texts (which I do use) if I called and canceled my data plan the next day after buying the iphone would I still get my unlimited texts that came with my family plan?

one other question. If I get an older iphone could I stick my lg shine sim card in there and have it work? Could they detect that I changed phones and charge me the data plan?

Thanks,