iPhone 3G back cover - does it scratch easily?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chic0, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Chic0 macrumors 6502

Hey guys

finally got my Black iPhone 3G on mOnday.

I just wanted to hear from owners if the back cover is easily scratched or scuffed if not covered? Does it mark easily when case not used?

I already have skins from bestskinsever.com. I applied the screen skin last night, but I am debating whether I actually need apply the rear skin. What do you think?

Thanks

2. appledrone macrumors regular

It really depends on how fussy you are I guess...

I have had mine since launch and I keep it in my pocket on its own (no keys or coins etc) and its as good as new. There are a couple of really faint marks on the apple logo but you really have to look hard to see them. At the end of the day its only a phone and its there to be used.

Hope that helps

3. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

it is made of plastic its not scratch proof, get an invisible shield by Zagg, this will keep the phone itself from scratching

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

The back plastic seems pretty sturdy and scratch-resistant. But the Apple logo is another story. You can sneeze and scratch it.

5. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

cool. cheers guys

think I'll just leave back cover way it way it is

6. yode macrumors 6502

it will scratch no doubt, it's better to use your best skins ever shield on the back. what would be the point in not using it?

7. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is mostly it.

Let's be clear, first, on the definitino of 'scrath' and 'scuff.'

THESE are scratches. It is caused by something actually creating a gash in the plastic. That is bad.

A 'scuff' on the other hand, is the plastic equivilant of brushed metal. As you can see, some people have even done that to their older iPods on purpose. Many Macs have been designed with brushed metal as part of their frame. It looks nice, and scuffed plastic is pretty similar, in my opinion. (And to be clear, if you consider that photo "100% scuffed" then my iPhone is only "15% scuffed." It's nowhere CLOSE to looking like that, I offer it only as an example. Why? Because the scuffing on my phone is impossible to photograph! It's subtle, so please don't think it looks exactly like brushed metal.)

You phone WILL get scuffed with normal usage. Some people freak out over this, but like brushed metal, I think it looks quite nice. The differnce between this and scratching is:

1) It is uniform. It's more of a surface texture than a single flaw.
    2) It is shallow. You can't feel it with your finger like you would an actual scratch.
    3) It's not obvious. It's generally only seen in certain light at certain angles. It's there, but not always viewable.

So just to be clear, a caseless phone will scuff, but I think that's fine. I've gone caseless since launch day of the 3G (black) and I think it still looks great. It does NOT look brand new, I couldn't fool anyone there. But I do think it looks great and would never put a case on it.

EDIT: Dunno where the 'scratch' picture went. I replaced it with an even better example! :)

9. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

+1, but the photo you offered up does not work.

10. Canuck22 macrumors newbie

This is true.

11. off in the wood macrumors regular