iPhone 3G Backorder Guarantee Problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lt3bigballer, Jul 23, 2008.

1. lt3bigballer macrumors newbie

so i ordered a 16 gb blk iphone 3g on monday the 14th, 3 days after the release date. i was guaranteed that they would recieve it and activate it within 10 days, and was given the estimate of 5-7. they had already explained the low supply.
    well here i am on the 23rd. i went into the store today for an explanation. they said they were backordered. i told them i understood, but that they guaranteed within 10 days. that would mean by this saturday. they looked up the info in the system and said it hadnt even been shipped yet. clearly their guarantee wasnt true.
    a man next to me was just getting his iPhone, so i asked him when he ordered it. his response: last wednesday, the 16. er, what? so i ordered mine and it hasnt been shipped and he ordered his later and has it already. the lady helping me said backordering was random. BS!!!
    bottom line: has anyone else been having problems similar? any advice for me? tips? explanations? thank you for your time!

2. virus7 macrumors member

my suggestion is to just relax, i assume your "guarantee" was just a verbal one and just something some rep told you. I know everyone is anxious but it's just a phone after all.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I've heard differing stories on whether or not AT&T ships out randomly or goes in order. My store actually went in order for the most part (I could tell when the wheresmydamniphone site worked). A few people after me got their phones before hand, either because they had ordered a 16GB white (least demand for this phone, so anyone who orders this will receive theirs quickly), or because they ordered an 8GB when there were only 16GB blacks left to fulfill.

I asked my store, and the manager indeed confirmed this, "If you ordered 7/12 at 10am, you will generally receive your phone faster than someone who ordered 7/13 at 10am, unless supplies dictate otherwise."

However other people here have been saying that their AT&T stores are shipping out phones randomly, which I think is really unfair.

I ordered a 16GB black on the 13th and it's supposed to be here tomorrow, which will be 9 business days or 11 consecutive days.

AT&T shouldn't have guaranteed anything. They certainly did not for me, they just said, "7-10 days should be the case, but demand is high".

Generally what they are saying now is, "7-10 days if you ordered the 13th or before, 10-21 days if you ordered after the 13th".

You will have the longest wait if you are waiting for a 16GB black. I know it sucks, but that's how it goes. 16GB white has the fastest shipping, followed by 8GB.

4. ChevolDavis macrumors member

All your answers can be found in this 58+ page thread...
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5893065&posted=1#post5893065

hang in there buddy, let me guess you ordered a 16GB Black one

5. lt3bigballer thread starter macrumors newbie

i thoroughly searched that forum, and didnt find enough.

another problem though: when i went in, she asked if i got a confirmation email, to which i replied no. now i purchased this over a week ago, so should i have gotten an email now? also, when i asked her if she could tell me the email address they were sending it to, she told me she couldnt do that. i am frustrated and confused!! anyone else with the confirmation email have any help on this?

6. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

I got my confirmation email the next day. You should call AT&T to see what's going on. CSRs might have more info that AT&T store employees.

7. reason macrumors newbie

Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did. I spoke with 2 different CSRs on 2 different calls and they said they don't have access to AT&T store order details... They couldn't even locate my order, the one that I was able to find last night on their website.

Interestingly enough, I got a call on my home phone wondering if I was satisfied with the service I had received from calling AT&T's 800 number. Whoops! :eek:

8. lt3bigballer thread starter macrumors newbie

do you mind showing me what the email looked like? and is it true that they cannot show who they sent the confirmation email to?

9. Obama4YoMama macrumors newbie

When I started reading this post I was like hold up did I write this?...I ordered my Iphone in the 14th as well 16 GB Blk and everybody is giving me the they are on backorder song...when I initial ordered my phone the rep said no more than 7 days...called to talk to the manager and he said 10 - 21 days...thats a bunch of BS...I used this status checker called IphoneOrderStatus and when I enter the range I see orders numbers much higher than mine that says theres have already been shipped. Im pissed off...:mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. lt3bigballer thread starter macrumors newbie

update:
    so i went in and yelled at them and brought up the 'guarantee' and the fact that somebody else had recieved their before me even though they ordered after me, and the following day, my iphone magically arrived. in less than a day, it went from not even being shipped to arriving at the at&t store. if theres anything to take from this, it's the messed up message of: if ur not happy with it, become frustrated and angry express ur emotions on it.
    i say this because i also fixed my ipod by hitting it on a table after it broke. wild.

11. JasonBST macrumors newbie

IPhone 3g 8 GIG

Well folks I ordered 3g 8 gig on July 22 and it was shipped last night. I live in Florida. I called the store and they said I could pick it up today after noon. I waited a total of 11 days. Everyone should check becuase it seems there were a boatload shipped lat night according to the queues. Good luck to everyone. I have a friend who works for ATT and she says that Apple is supplying them more and more everyday and it seems that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Don't take this out on AT&T reps they are only doing what they can. I understand the system if flawed but again the are only the messangers.