iPhone 3G Backup lost

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by inkogneetoe, Apr 28, 2011.

1. inkogneetoe macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Here what has happened so far:

Background: Jailbroke my iPhone 3G iOS 4.2 all fine.(Backed up before hand)
    Then went to restore the phone and after the restore all my SMS/contacts/photos are gone. I just selected restore and not a specific file.

After some googling Ive tried to shift click the restore button to restore from the origional backup but its not in the list. However if i browse to the \Mobilesync\Backup folder there is a backup file there that is time and date stamped for the original backup with a contents of 1.8GB but it doesn't show in the backup file list in itunes.

So how can i select this file or extract the SMS/contacts/photos?

Ive had an idea.

I created an XP virtual machine,installed iTunes and copied the backup file i want into the MobileSync\Backup directory.

Tried an iphone restore and a backup from there, NO sucess

When i shift click the restore and browse to the file location there is nothing showing in the folder. In the file type bar it looks for a .ipsw extension.

Why wont it just restore from that 1.8GB file?

Can anyone help?

Ive also separate copies of the backups and have tried merging the 1.8GB backup into one of the newer backups that work.No success

Ive tried various combos,replace all,replace all bar the .mbdb and .mbdx files as there was none in the original 1.8GB backup.

Anyone got any ideas on merging the files? Any backup extractor app ive tried cant seem to read this file either.

Sorry for the long history and thanks in advance for help :eek:

2. inkogneetoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok Ive opened my backup file in Ubuntu and all the phots,videos show automatically....wooohoooo!!

Ive also extracted my contacts and SMS but ho do i get them back on the phone easily??

Should I close this thread and open another for that issue?