iPhone 3G battery doesn't last more than a few minutes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zeta function, Mar 6, 2011.

1. zeta function macrumors newbie

My iPhone keeps turning off after using it for a couple of minutes even though the battery icon shows that the battery is almost fully charged. When I try to turn it on, it shows that the battery is low and turns off again. However, when I charge it, it shows that the battery is almost full. Worse yet, if I am talking to someone WHILE the phone is charged for more than 30 mins, it still dies showing the low battery icon when I try to turn it on.

If I listen to music, however, it seems to perform slightly better. I can listen to music for at least ~2hrs (haven't tried longer).

Is it a problem with the battery? The phone is not on warranty anymore, so would I be able to replace the battery myself?

Thanks

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It sounds like your Iphone's battery is dead. Just replace it.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

4. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

I have the same problem. If I use Safari, it lasts me 10 minutes or so, whereas I can listen to music for a couple of hours with no problem.

THe weird thing is that it turns off when the battery indicator is still full, then I can turn it on again and it would last a couple more hours listening to music.

My iphone is in perfect condition 2 years and a half after I purchased it, I don't see why I'd have to buy a brand new one. Isn't it possible to replace the iphone battery at an apple store ?

5. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

You can't replace the battery in those earlier models.

6. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

And if I go to an apple store, can't they give me a new iphone 3G ? That shouldn't cost them much since they wouldn't sell that model anyway. Do I have to spend $500 on a new iphone just because the battery is dead ?

7. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a