iPhone 3G Battery Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by egk69, Jan 12, 2009.

1. egk69 macrumors 6502

Hi, I have a iPhone 3G and its Jailbroken, I notice that when I use WiFi the phone literally drinks the battery. I have a number battery (I mean instead of the bat. icon it displays numbers 0-100) and I can see it going down 1 by 1 un minutes.

Is that battery consumption is normal!??

Also, when the phone its on stand by, or sleeping, what ever its called. Does it automatically turns the wifi and bluetooth off !??, how much would the battery last on stand by?

A few days ago my phone drinks 13% of battery in like 45 minutes to 1 hour, without using it at all, it was on stand by all the time, I think the wifi just stuck ON even when the phone was on stand by, cause after that I restarted the phone and manually turn off the wifi, and it stop draining the battery.

Finally , i've seen a few batteries that you can connect under the iphone so it charges or maintain the battery for longer times, i've seen a lot different ones, which one would you recomend me!??

THANKS!!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Wifi and bluetooth services are not turned off when your phone is put to sleep. They need to manually be turned off to conserve power when they aren't being used.

3. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Turn down the brightness.. That's a killer. There are alot of tips for battery usage.

4. egk69 thread starter macrumors 6502

really!?, wow, i really think it turn off by it self, cause when its on, and you put it to sleep, then few minutes after that you awake the phone, the wifi symbol doesnt show till like 10 seconds after the phone its unlock.

Anyway, thanks, i'll be sure to turn off the wifi and bT when ever im not using it!

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I was just wondering when the term 'literally' stopped meaning 'literally'.

6. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

I guess around 7:43 PM? :p

7. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

Wifi is definitely turned off (unless the iPhone is connected to the charger or a laptop), you can check this by pinging it or if you've jailbroken it and installed ssh then you can ssh into it and wait for the phone to sleep and your ssh session will freeze 30 seconds or so after the phone sleeps. Bluetooth I doubt gets disabled as that needs to be able to communicate with external devices (earphones/headsets etc) at a moment's notice when the phone rings or a user presses a button on them (e.g. the redial button).

Just my thoughts, I may be wrong...;)

Alec

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I think it occasionally reconnects in sleep mode, because when my phone is sleeping. It occasionally pops up on bonjour in cyberduck without me touching it.

9. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

Interesting... Guess who is going to be pinging his iPhone all day tomorrow to see what it does...:D