Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

145930-batt_500.jpg

PCWorld has performed some real-life battery testing on the Apple iPhone 3G and found that while its battery us worse than the original iPhone, it still beats many of its competitors.

In their tests. they found that the talk time ran for an average of 5 hours and 38 minutes as compared to 10 hours in their tests for the original iPhone. 5 hours and 38 minutes was enough to best the other 3G phones in their testing (see graph above).

The results, however, have been criticized due to the omission of the 3G Blackberry.

Article Link

KaiMac

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2004
Va
Battery a Joke

Uh, I'll stick with the Al iPhone on 2.0 software.

Comment

mrJnC

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
I always find these sort of tests misleading as Li-Ion batteries require a good number of charge cycles before they become consistent. On the original iPhone it took about two weeks IIRC for the operational time to stabilize, improving upon each cycle.

Comment

brockumpodness

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
Springfield, MO
3G iPhone less than Old iPhone!? Nope....

That's saying that the 3G iPhone using a ***3G*** Network has less batt. life than an older iPhone on the other network. If you want to make a good comparison, use the 3G on the non-3G network and you will see that *The 3G has Better batt. life than the older one using the old network (period).* Good day.

Comment

Aznsensation45

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
yep!

That's saying that the 3G iPhone using a ***3G*** Network has less batt. life than an older iPhone on the other network. If you want to make a good comparison, use the 3G on the non-3G network and you will see that *The 3G has Better batt. life than the older one using the old network (period).* Good day.

Touche my friend.:)

Comment

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Proof? (Besides saying that Apple says so)

Comment

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Proof? (Besides saying that Apple says so)

Well, Apple claims "Up to 5 hours on 3G" and this test actually showed 40 min better. So I'm willing to give Apple the benefit of doubt on this one, until someone does a Edge test on the new iPhones.

Comment

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
hoow many phones in the list has non-removable batt like iPhone?

PS. palm centro replacement batt is $15.

Well, Apple claims "Up to 5 hours on 3G" and this test actually showed 40 min better. So I'm willing to give Apple the benefit of doubt on this one, until someone does a Edge test on the new iPhones.

test is about talk time, 3G web is more power hungry.

Comment

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
really? i thought 3G voice could be just as hard on the battery as 3G data if not harder.

Comment

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I love my new 3G iPhone, I will leave on 3G for the time being, but atleast Apple gives you the option to run on Edge (Not sure about other phones). Games I think are the most power hungry part of the iPhone, but it's not a complaint from my area, I will take crappy battery to have 3G, GPS and Sweet apps.

EDIT: Should be good to see the next version of iPhone and what new batteries and chips they put in it. I bet Steve will not be giving us a new phone (redesign) until the battery last as long as the original iPhone.

Comment

drelectro

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2006
BATTERY LASTING 10 Hours on 1st gen iPhone?

Yea right it did. I never had it last more then 6 hours just talk time and thats not using edge, wifi or ipod. Has anyone else had it last 10 hours?

I smell cow pies brewing.

Comment

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Yea right it did. I never had it last more then 6 hours just talk time and thats not using edge, wifi or ipod. Has anyone else had it last 10 hours?

I smell cow pies brewing.

Pretty sure the capped it at 8hrs on 1st gen, 3G iPhone is sporting 10hrs (with 3G turned off).

Comment

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Battery life on !st gen

My battery life on 1st generation phone has declined significantly since upgrading to 2.0
I assume that the cause is the Push feature for contacts ,mail and calendar.

Any one else notice this?:apple:

Comment

mlauber

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Yes Push is battery hog

Yes I absolutely saw a big difference in battery life with the push selected off.

Comment

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
My battery life on 1st generation phone has declined significantly since upgrading to 2.0
I assume that the cause is the Push feature for contacts ,mail and calendar.

Any one else notice this?:apple:

I also have the same impression. I am still testing it though. Maybe it's because now we do more things with our iPhone than before. We have more apps to download, install and run. We have push and we can also play games. All these things certainly cost battery life.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.