iPhone 3G battery question!??

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
So the battery on the new iPhone us once again not replaceable. Is this a scheme to force us to buy the next iPhone when, I'm sure, it comes out next...well, around July 11, 2009 maybe? :mrgreen:

I read somewhere else that you can have it "serviced" to where the battery is replace by Apple Care? Is this true? Is this free, or is there yet another fee?

Thanks, fellow iPhone lovers! :)

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
myriad solutions

So the battery on the new iPhone us once again not replaceable. Is this a scheme to force us to buy the next iPhone when, I'm sure, it comes out next...well, around July 11, 2009 maybe? :mrgreen:

I read somewhere else that you can have it "serviced" to where the battery is replace by Apple Care? Is this true? Is this free, or is there yet another fee?

Thanks, fellow iPhone lovers! :)
Here is Apple's policy.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/battery/

Basically $85 for everything and takes about 3 days,
There are tons of non-apple services available.
Google it.

alFR

macrumors 68020
Aug 10, 2006
Why would you need to replace it after a year? The battery is rated to hold 80% of its original charge capacity after 300-400 full charge cycles, so even if you drain it completely and charge it fully every day it's still going to be 80% good after a year. For the vast majority of users this isn't going to be an issue.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Why would you need to replace it after a year? The battery is rated to hold 80% of its original charge capacity after 300-400 full charge cycles, so even if you drain it completely and charge it fully every day it's still going to be 80% good after a year. For the vast majority of users this isn't going to be an issue.
Didn't know that. I'm currently charging it twice a day, but purportedly, the soon-to-be-released FW 2.1 will improve battery life tremendously. :)