iPhone 3G Battery Question...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by daveishere, Dec 2, 2008.

1. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Hi,

I just recently bought an iPhone 3g (14th November to be exact) and since i have charged the battery right up, and then let it completely die, until the icon comes up telling me to plug it into the wall. I have done this about 6 or 7 times now.

What i wanna know is:

1) Does the iPhone 3G's battery have a memory?

2) I have read on the Apple website that the recommended thing to do is do a full charge/full discharge cycle once a month. I wanna know how much freedom i have inbetween these 'calibration' charges in terms of charging the iPhone's battery? Can i take it from 50 or 60% charged to fully charged inbetween?

In terms of how i use my iPhone 3G, i have 3G enabled (although i can only get it around 30-40% of the time i use the phone at the moment), i have location services on, brightness 50% with auto brightness enabled, fetch every hour (although only just changed to this from manual about 2 days ago). My attitude towards using the iPhone's features is that i bought iPhone 3G to use it. I dont wanna pay this much for a phone and not use its key features.

Cheers

Dave

2. jwilcox09 macrumors member

jwilcox09

I think you'll be fine doing that. I run mine down everyday to about 30% or so before I charge it up again and let it charge all night. The "calibration" cycles are only to keep the battery from loosing its ability to keep a charge from lack of use. If you do a full cycle once a month it should, in the long run, make the battery last longer, but then again, the phones haven't been out long enough to know the true lifespan of the battery.

I do the same thing on my laptop with the calibration cycles.

About how long do you get with "normal", and by normal I mean Internet, 3G, TXT, Music, etc., before you have to charge?

3. daveishere thread starter macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Since i have had fetch on every hour, i probably get about 2 - 2 1/2 days out of the battery depending on usage. When i had it on manual fetch, i got about 3 - 3 1/2 days out of the battery.

Right now, the only time i have plugged the iphone in to charge was to sync with iTunes, which was for about 10-15 minutes, and the usage is showing:

Usage: 4 Hours 10 Minutes
    Standby: 1 Day 6 Hours

and the battery is about 50% full.

I have been using the phone quite a bit for e-mail and games (yeah i know they will probably kill the battery) over the past day or two, but im pretty pleased with how the battery is performing at the moment.