iPhone 3G Battery Test (first full charge)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NiroshanMan, Jul 21, 2008.

1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

So i got my iPhone 3G 16gb Black on friday! Can't keep my hands off of it.

As you know the iPhone out of the box has a nearly full battery, so as a test i finished charging it to the maximum and took it off charging to see how long itd last. Here are my results.

Usage Time: 8 Hours 34 minutes
    Standby Time: 1 day 3 hours
    Call Time: 14 minutes
    Data: 50 mb in, 2 mb out

Usage Specifics:
    -watched about 2 hours of video
    -listented to one hours worth of music on iPhone speakers (almost full volume)
    -3G on 15% of the time
    -Wifi on for 85%
    -Location services on 70% of the time
    -Used GPS for a solid 20 minutes
    -Listened to music through headphones for 45 minutes
    -Used apps for about 5 minutes
    -Push off
    -Bluetooth off
    -3G enabled all the time (but was used little since wifi was connected, but 3G appeared every time you woke it up)
    -Mail checked every 15 minutes
    -Looked at mail for 20-30 minutes
    -Went web browsing on wifi and 3G for 20 minutes
    -Called for 5-10 minutes
    -Texted for 2 minutes
    -Brightness on 25%
    -Connected to computer for no longer than 5 minutes to sync music and videos (may disturb this test but probably little effect)

I think this is pretty decent, and i hope to see as good results or even better as the battery gets more used.

I believe i took it off power around noon yesterday and it just died at 8pm today so it lived long.

2. trunksu macrumors 6502

3. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

thats what the iPhone said, idk how reliable it can be

4. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

You must have got one with 2 batteries in it. I find it hard to believe that you doubled the battery life per Apple's Tests and I'm sure they did quite a few for several months. Very strange. In fact, I am a pretty heavy user and I never got 8 hours on my first gen iphone. I'm sorry to say this but I call BS big time about this battery life. There is no way you got just about 2 days worth of total usage and stand-by with everything you said you did. Anyone else think the same as I do?

5. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

Im puzzled myself, as i said in the last post, idk how reliable the usage and standby times the iPhone says are. But the usage specifics are true and i did atleast have it without charging for a full day with that usage.

6. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

I get roughly 5-8 hours usage pending on internet usage...

7. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

I would like to see screen shots of both of these usages without showing it has been plugged since the last full charge. I have notice that the 3G charges a lot faster than the first gen. But getting 8 hours of use and over a day stand-by does not sound correct especially with the amount of Internet use you quoted.

8. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

As i stated above i plugged in the iPhone for no more than 5 minutes to sync the videos and music, so sorry it will say that it has been plugged in since the last charge.

9. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

just charge it fully and then reset your stats under usage and take a screen shot after that one and see what it says. If you did it once you should be able to do it again. I'm not trying to call you a liar but if that is what ur getting and I use the phone similar if not less so I would just like to see it to know if I got a bad battery because I'm not getting close to that.