iPhone 3G bb 6.15.00 running iOS 3.1.3

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by StuFW4Real, Nov 10, 2011.

1. StuFW4Real macrumors newbie

Hello,

I currently have a jailbroken (with jailbreakme.com and unlocked with ultransn0w 1.2) iPhone 3G on bb 6.15.00. I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade to 4.2.1 without changing the baseband or losing my unlock, as I am a T-Mobile user. The iPhone works fine as is, but I can't download many App Store apps running anything lower than iOS 4. It is also my understanding that the baseband I am on is required for T-Mobile. I DO NOT want to lose my unlock as I had spent three days jailbreaking and unlocking the darned thing. Thanks!

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You can upgrade to 4.2.1 and that the latest fw for 3G. However, because you have Ipad baseband on yours, you must upgrade it by using customs firmware. You can refer to dev team blog where they addressed this issue previously.

3. StuFW4Real thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. But one thing. Is custom firmware what redsn0w does when it jailbreaks, or is it a completely different download?

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It is completely different. Even you have customs fw on your phone, when jailbreaking with redsn0w, you still need to point it to the stock fw.

5. StuFW4Real thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! That was very helpful! I'm going to try it tonight. Hopefully I will be downloading the correct ipsw and i believe i'll need to put it in pwned dfu using redsnow to initiate it, but I think it'll be manageable. Thanks again!