iPhone 3G BBC iPlayer streaming over network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by philgilder, Jul 7, 2008.

1. philgilder macrumors 68000

does anyone know if the iplayer will work over the 3g network?

2. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Streaming video is against the T&C anyway so even if it does work you run the risk of being throttled/capped/having your data cut off.

Even youtube would fall under this...

It remains to be seen how much they try to enforce that rule, with so many iphone users out there who've probably never read the small print.

3. pauld macrumors regular

I think I read somewhere here that O2 had requested a block be put on iPlayer via 3G since it's so demanding on the bandwidth.

4. philgilder thread starter macrumors 68000

exactly, so it seems o2 don't care
    its not like it used it all the time, once in a while
    but if its blocked, then thats that

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I think a bigger problem will be finding coverage of 3G. I've never seen continuous EDGE coverage on my current iPhone.

6. philgilder thread starter macrumors 68000

true, where are you though?

i'm off to university in september, and i would have thought all main uk cities would have 3g?!?

7. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

3G coverage should be much better - EDGE was only ever a very small footprint, as they put it in to support the 2G iphone whereas 3G is part of the normal rollout & is supposed to cover 90% of the population by now (a condition of their bidding for the 3G spectrum I believe).

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I've tried it in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee along with the surrounding areas. The E icon will appear but it doesn't ever hang around for any length of time.

9. manicmouse86 macrumors newbie

Edge coverage in edinburgh is pretty much limited to leith and between corstorphine and the airport, but 3G coverage has been great in most of the city

10. baldspot07 macrumors regular

new message...TV programmes unavailable

if you try and access a TV show via 3G you now get the message " Sorry, television programmes can only be watched over a wifi connection" It used to just not load and throw up a "Null" error

So hopefully this means that all the radio stuff will shortly be coming to the iPhone and iPod Touch and this will be allowed via 3G.

Fingers crossed.:D

11. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Don't hold your breath.

Phazer

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

More accurately it seems O2 do care, but have some contractual block with Apple that means they can't do anything about the YouTube app.

Phazer

13. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

how does youtube fall under it if AT&T KNOWS about being able to stream the video!?

No one gets caught for doing so?

14. CocheseUGA macrumors member

It's no good to out-of-UK residents, unfortunately.

I was really hoping to stream Five Live, but I bet radio will be blocked too.

Oh well, that's why I keep my HTC.

15. eshaq786 macrumors newbie

I accidently stumbled across a way to watch video from BBC iplayer over a 3g connection.

1) Connect using wifi to bbc iplayer.
    2) Open up the program you want to watch.
    3) Wait for the play icon to appear on the program image.
    4) Open new windows and do the same for each separate program you want to watch on bbc iplayer.

Once the play icon appears, you can disconnect from the wifi and take your iphone with you and watch the program over 3g without the need for wifi. All that is required is for the play link to appear and when you click the link, bbc iplayer does not check if you are connected via wifi as it has already done the check and thus displayed the play link. It'll then start streaming the video over 3g.

The only problem is if you navigate to another page or reload the page then the link will disappear. If you load the main iplayer website then just use the navigation built into the website and links within the site streaming will work as it will still think its connected via wifi.

I know this is a long winded solution to use iplayer over 3g but until BBC and/O2 allow the use of iplayer over 3g or allow us to download for later use, this is the only way watch videos on BBC iplayer over a 3g data connection.

16. Qanbar macrumors member

Qanbar

Just tried the method mentioned before my post and it works a treat.

17. philgilder thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks! i dont even remember starting this thread, it was over a year ago!
    but at least we know it can be done