Iphone 3G - bottom 20% of screen dead

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NGAgent007, Jul 19, 2010.

1. NGAgent007 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have had an iphone 3G since Dec-2008 - obviously out of warranty now.

Today, the bottom 20% of the screen or so went dead - it won't respond to touches, taps, slides, etc. The rest of the screen responds fine, but this portion is completely out of it.

This is particularly problematic b/c it is all of the bar where my 4 favorite icons sit (SMS, Email, Web and Ipod).

I did some googling and found the apple Article TS1827, but it didn't say what could be the cause, how to fix it, etc.

1) Any ideas what could be wrong?

2) I have a genius appointment later today, but what are the chances Apple actually fixes or replaces it?

3) What is the best suggestion as to how to fix it if i need to - places to go, or DIYs? Located in NYC.

Thanks.

2. headcheese macrumors regular

Since you're out of warranty I'm pretty sure you're screwed. They may be able to fix it but it won't be free (or likely cheap). If it's more then $200 (which it may be since it is probably the digitizer) just get an ip4 :cool:

3. NGAgent007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Long story, but contract may not allow for it yet. So trying to figure out what my options are.

I saw a bunch of older posts on people getting apple to respond to dead zones with replacements - has anyone had that happen recently?

4. headcheese macrumors regular

If you signed your contract anytime in December of 2008 (and haven't made any changes) you are 100% eligible for an upgrade (I was) :apple:

5. NGAgent007 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. Understood - the reason i said long story is because there have been other changes to the account. Based on what ATT online tells me, I'm not eligible right now.

Trying to figure out if anyone else has had the dead zone problems and what the possible fixes are.

Thanks for the help.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You know you could make a Genius Bar appointment if you have an apple store near you. You might get lucky and get a replacement. It's worth a try. It sounds like the screen just died on you, nothing you can do about it yourself unless you know how to repair it.

7. NGAgent007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Vince,

Thanks - I do have a Genius Bar appointment for tonight. Going to see if they'll do anything for me.

Is there a certain replacement kit you recommend? I'm reasonably handy, but just want to make sure I get everything i need (I'm assuming the problem is the digitizer based on what I've read), at a reasonable price with the highest chance of success.

Thanks

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

When you get there, just be polite and explain your situation and the genius might swap it out for you. Those guys must see a lot of trouble during the day, getting yelled at and frustrated by customers so if you're nice they might take care of you well. I've had my macbook battery swapped for free out of warranty!

I'm not much of a do-it-yourself person when it comes to tech, but you can check out ifixit.com

They have a bunch of parts here:

http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-3G

Their iPhone repair guides are probably the most comprehensive on the internet:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/iPhone_3G

Sounds like you might need a new digitizer though. This looks perfect for you:

http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-3G-Front-Panel-Kit/IF137-007

9. iFixYouri macrumors member

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bingo.