iPhone 3G broken - Burning like temp

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ripkars, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ripkars macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    problem is: after connecting this iPhone 3G 8GB to a non original, ****** ***** car charger (I really was in an emergency and had to, don't blame me for this thing) the device won't even boot up, nor lcd screen dim even a little bit when pressing the on off button. Moreover, when connected to the original power source or to a pc/mac's usb it becomes hot till you have to drop it or otherwise burn your hand. iTunes doesn't recognize the device, either.
    Supposing the battery was the failing component, I substituted it, but the problem still persists (no dimming lcd, near-to-burning-hell temp, no iTunes recognition).
    Is there anyone out there with some advices for this poor fella :)?
    Perhaps should I look for data port substitution? Is it possible that a power related failure breaks up the motherboard?
    Thx to everyone
    Riccardo

2. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Sounds like the charger killed it. If it wasn't a supported Apple device you were taking your phone's life into your own hands. Probably would have to get a new logic board. It might be more cost-effective to get a newer phone. Sorry about your luck.

3. ripkars thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it really possible that Apple's engineers didn't install a fuse or something like that between the connection port and the logic board????

4. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Sure it is. They don't want you using non-supported equipment on their products. You might be able to get a repair done but it will cost you. Not to rub it in, but wouldn't a phone that just needs a recharge have been better than a fried one? Gotta think these things out. Good luck to you.

5. ripkars thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your opinion, but I don't think that a product is made deliberately flawed (suppose your sh*** pc is somehow malfunctioning and draws too much power at USB - it doesn't necessarily happen that you connected a non original charger, yet you'd have a broken iPhone) because of the will of enforcing the use of a particular kind of recharger - in fact I don't believe the mobo is broken, the problem has to be found somewhere else.
    I was actually trying to understand if anyone near here has had a similar problem...
    none??

6. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

For the record I have a Mac, not a PC. Kidding, but seriously if the voltage is unregulated or wonky, yeah it can fry things.

7. ripkars thread starter macrumors newbie

I supposed you had one - your signature is rather clear about that ^_^
    Well actually that would be a little astonishing to me to realize that this kind of a big error was made by apple's guys....i would have expected a more accurate design