iPhone 3G busted...upgrade now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macstrosity, Mar 15, 2010.

  1. Macstrosity macrumors newbie

    Macstrosity

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #1
    I dropped my iPhone 3G on the drive way and it cracked the screen something fierce. Over the past few days, the portion of the screen that is "blanked out" (turned a gray color) continues to increase. At this rate, it'll be completely gone within the month.

    My quandary to you guys...do I go ahead and get a 3GS (I'm eligible for an upgrade) or do I try and though it out with what I have and hope that a fourth generation iPhone will be coming this summer?

    p.s. - I have a long trip to Canada coming up and I need something to keep me company...

    What do?
     
  2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

    CJS7070

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #2
    If you need a new phone, which it sounds like you will soon, then get a new phone. Simple.
     
  3. Macstrosity thread starter macrumors newbie

    Macstrosity

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #3
    but...
     
  4. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

    MacToddB

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    #4
    how about an iPad? Get a cheapo 'Go Phone', pop the sim in it, and upgrade to the next iPhone in June. Keep or sell the iPad, but at least you'll have a cool entertainment device for your trip, assuming it's post-April 3rd!
     
  5. fuzion macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2010
    #5
    I've replaced the lcd screen on an iphone, and the lcd and digitizer on another.. I think the screen itself is $40 - $50 from the site I use; cheaper than a new phone and you'll be able to get the new one when it comes out.. then you can just sell your 3g for like $50 or something.

    I'm still on a 3g [getting slower and slower every day, good times]

    Just make sure you're careful when replacing the screen, don't crack the digitizer, and don't rip the connectors apart because they are ittybitty. :)
     
  6. ngenerator macrumors 68000

    ngenerator

    Joined:
    May 12, 2009
    Location:
    USG Ishimura
    #6
    But, you should really make your own decisions
     
  7. BlackViper macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2010
    #7
    Repair

    Have you considered getting it repaired? You could then sell it to fund a new iPhone when they come out this summer.
     
  8. Macstrosity thread starter macrumors newbie

    Macstrosity

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #8
    The cost of repair by Apple is $199 for the replacement of the entire front of the phone. This still leaves the very worn back...not sure I'd get any return on investment there.
     
  9. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

    DoNoHarm

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Location:
    Maine
    #9
    you can just try a competitor's smartphone for a month while you wait for the next iphone. I did with the nexus one. I ended up not liking it so I'm going to be returning it for the iphone. In the meantime, it's a nice change and I can see so much that can be accomplished when you have seamless and free Google integration in a smartphone...
     
  10. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

    eyefoniac

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2008
    Location:
    Everywhere and nowhere
    #10
    If you could stand it, I would get a go phone like previously mentioned and just stick it out until the new iPhone comes out this summer.
     
  11. Macstrosity thread starter macrumors newbie

    Macstrosity

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #11
    I'm not sure I can hold out...just since I started this post I noticed that it no longer vibrates anymore and chooses to make noise at it own leisure...which is awesome. And it took three times for my iMac to recognize it. I think I might just have to bite the bullet and get a 3GS now. Maybe Apple/AT&T will do a special upgrade type deal like they did for iPhone -> iPhone 3G. I won't hold my breath though.
     
  12. McBeats macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    Location:
    erf
    #12
    no brainer... Definitely WAIT! :D
    pick up a 3G on craigslist in the meantime if u need your ifix.
     
  13. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

    bjb.butler

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2008
    Location:
    Southern California
    #13
    You can get an orginal or iphone 3G on craigslist or ebay for ~$200. You could do that, and preserve your upgrade.
     
  14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #14
    At this point, I would try and get a cheap phone off of ebay. But, since you are definitely in need of a phone, you could get a 3GS now and either sell it when the new one comes out or keep it.
     
  15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

    Knowlege Bomb

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    Location:
    Madison, WI
    #15
    I say get the 3GS.

    It'd be one thing if it was late May/early June and your phone was crapping out. At that point you're within weeks of an announcement/release. As it stands now, you've got months before a new device is even announced and your phone is on it's way out.

    As has been said, your 3GS will fetch you a decent penny when/if you decide to sell it to help get the next model. Get it, enjoy it and don't forget to buy a case. ;)
     
  16. Macstrosity thread starter macrumors newbie

    Macstrosity

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #16
    Back from the Apple store. Here's what went down...

    The genius was super nice and laid it down like this. I could straight-up replace my 3G for $200 and still preserve my upgrade. Talk about awesome. I have been promising my wife an iPhone for a few months and now, Apple has just made things super easy. New (and working) iPhone, new one comes out this summer, hand-off 3G to the wife, and boom-ski, eligible for full upgrade. Life is grand.

    Thanks for all the help and suggestions you guys.:)
     
  17. Macstrosity thread starter macrumors newbie

    Macstrosity

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #17
    Oh yeah, nearly forgot...I definitely bought a case!
     
  18. milani macrumors 68000

    milani

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #18
    You could always just buy a cheap GSM phone off contract and slum it out until the new iPhone is released.

    EDIT: Never mind. Glad you figured it out.
     

Share This Page